Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Manga Studio 5 update

Last post 04-10-2014, 12:45 PM by Digital Dave. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-28-2014, 6:26 PM 425208

Manga Studio 5 update

You've probably received an email informing you of the update to v5.04 but just to say there is some very nice sample artwork that's included in the download. Fully layered files to explore.
  •  03-29-2014, 12:59 PM 425227 in reply to 425208

Re: Manga Studio 5 update

joeparis:
    You've probably received an email informing you of the update to v5.04

Nope, I didn't. I never do for some reason, even though I get newsletters from them. Thanks for the headsup, I only checked out a couple of those sample files so far but they are quite interesting.

http://www.madhamsterstudios.co.uk
  •  03-30-2014, 10:48 AM 425236 in reply to 425227

On second thoughts, I may not have received an email either, rather I was notified on Facebook/Twitter or something. All look the same anyway.
  •  03-31-2014, 1:22 AM 425265 in reply to 425236

How do you guys like using Manga Studio 5? I know I looked at the program a while back, but never picked it up. I see it's 40% off right now, ($47.99 through SmithMicro) and was wondering if I would get much use from it?

Thanks in advance

My Sketchbook ... My Gallery
  •  03-31-2014, 10:55 AM 425270 in reply to 425265

Dave, it's great. Not a very detailed review I confess but it is an excellent program. It actually does what a number of other top of the range programs do but it has other special features that help it stand out, like rulers, tones and Poser-like 3D capabilities.

I don't use it - yet - for professional work so I can't tell you anything about large file handling or crashing although I haven't heard of any particular problems. I feel it is probably best used alongside Photoshop (or similar). I use Painter and Photoshop because of Painter's superior brushes but I think the most recent update to MS makes it a more complete painting program (rather than a comic creation program). If you were aware of past versions you will definitely see that this is a great update - and an amazing price.  

If you are thinking of buying it may be worth looking in to buying from Celsys who ship it as Clip Studio Paint (ugleee!). I think that Smith Micro are only allowed to sell the boxed version and, last I heard, there was a bit of fuss aboutwho sells what. But it may be all settled now.

•  03-31-2014, 11:58 AM 425272 in reply to 425236

joeparis:
    On second thoughts, I may not have received an email either, rather I was notified on Facebook/Twitter or something. All look the same anyway.

That would explain it then. Not only didn't I get the email that they never sent, but I don't do TwitFace either. 

Digital Dave:

How do you guys like using Manga Studio 5? I know I looked at the program a while back, but never picked it up. I see it's 40% off right now, ($47.99 through SmithMicro) and was wondering if I would get much use from it?

Thanks in advance 

The interface is very well designed with everything drag and drop customisable. It has a load of great and useful tools like the rulers etc that Joe mentioned and page layout stuff. The brushes are nice and very customisable, although for me some can perform very slowly compared to other applications (I have noticed what appears to be a bug relating to the brush cursor that appears to improve performance a lot). I would say that it is well worth the price they are offering right now.

http://www.madhamsterstudios.co.uk
  •  03-31-2014, 1:08 PM 425275 in reply to 425272

Thanks guys, appreciate your input. Right now, I pretty much use PS exclusively, but do use Artrage4 for sketching. (Like the sketch feel they have) Thought MS5 looked pretty cool & I would like to get to know some different programs too. ... And I see what you mean about CSP being uglee Joe. It sure has a 'different' look than how it appears as MS.

Hell, I was just looking something up on Amazon.com for the wife and happen to check, and they have MS5 for just $26.00. So figured to just purchase it from them, since I've had decent dealings with them before. - Also said free shipping for orders over $35. So I went and added the IFX Manga paperback: Ultimate Guide to Mastering Digital Painting. So for $42 I get both. Don't think I could go wrong there.

Thanks again guys.

•  03-31-2014, 1:38 PM 425276 in reply to 425275

I've been thinking the same thing Dave, but I've got a trial and it doesn't seem majorly impressive to me, but I have just loaded/played with a couple of the tools and closed it again. I guess I need to give it a fairer play!
  •  03-31-2014, 4:14 PM 425287 in reply to 425276

Hey Kaz, yeah sometimes we get so used to one or two programs, others just look and feel so different, we don't always give them a fair shake. But I looked at Manga Studio sometime last year I believe, & after watching some videos & seeing some of the features I thought I might like it but just never ordered it. But it's like with Artrage, I love the feel of sketching in that program and pretty much use it for any sketching I do digitally. But I don't get into the other stuff, especially the stamps, felt pens, etc. More like cake decorating or crafting stuff to me. But I would like to sit down and put more time in trying out some of the others, like oil brushes and watercolors, because I know I've seen some really nice works done by others with it. Such as the water colors, Nick Harris comes to mind, as well as Pier Angeloboog. But like you, I probably just haven't given it a chance, since I usually just throw it into PS after sketching is done.

But hey, for $26 I don't see how I can go wrong. And when it said adding just over $8 more, I would get free shipping, I just saw the IFX Manga: Guide lower on the page, so just threw that in for the shipping thing. :) Will definitely check it out and let ya know what I think when it arrives.

•  04-05-2014, 2:15 PM 425482 in reply to 425287

Well, Manga Studio 5 arrived yesterday, and I spent about 5 hours or so on it last night just checking it all out. (Honestly, I didn't want to stop playing with it!)  :) Have to say, WOW, I'm impressed! I immediately loved the feel it has to it, and think it's even smoother then Artrage. ... Though there are loads of tools and settings which can be intimidating at first, (mostly because it appears so different than what one might be used to) I can see customization being quite nice once acclimated. I already pulled in some of the brushes I like to use in PS, and plan to spend some time having fun with this one! ;)

I can also see why some of the users I've seen in recently Manga Studio 5 videos state how they use this program exclusively now. And whether they use it in conjunction with PS, or simply replaced it, it's amazing when you look at the price difference of the two. And I also like that they made it compatible with PS files, so like with Artrage, you can switch back and forth between the two.

Well, thanks again for the help/advise. I will definitely be getting some use from this one, and the only regret...  that I didn't pick it up last year! :)

•  04-05-2014, 8:31 PM 425497 in reply to 425482

The problem for me is it's not available as a download, so I couldn't put it on my cintiq companion without getting an external cd drive :( so annoying
  •  04-07-2014, 11:55 AM 425500 in reply to 425497

Kaz, the Celsys link I put in my earlier post has the download version. Clip Studio Paint is Manga Studio, they're identical.  Downloading may even be a wiser thing to do because I'm not entirely sure what's to become of MS via Smith Micro regarding upgrades etc. Probably all will be fine but Celsys are the program's developers.
  •  04-07-2014, 12:25 PM 425503 in reply to 425500

Oh fab, thanks Joe! Awesome! 
  •  04-07-2014, 1:16 PM 425506 in reply to 425503

That's great Kaz. Didn't think of that.

On a side note, I actually spent a lot of time with Manga this weekend, and about mid-day yesterday I encountered an issue that has me baffled? I had sketched up a pic on Saturday and then went back and inked it all in. (No problems) but then on Sunday I went back to do some more on it, and about an hour later I went in and started putting in some flats, and not long into it, the iMac just seemed to come to a stop? I noticed nothing was working, but then learned was able to Right-Click on the mouse, but the left click wouldn't work? Manga also was unresponsive, and I ended up having to shut the machine down manually, even after closing MS5? Now this happened again, maybe 3 or 4 times, about the same as the first time. So I was doing some research on-line to see if anyone else was having any compatibility issues with Manga Studio 5 and Mavericks. (Nothing would come up directly) ... Though I couldn't locate anything for just MS5 & Mavericks, apparently the left click and non responding issue does appear to be something people area experiencing with Mavericks, but there doesn't appear to be one single thing that causes this. So I'm now running some test, checking programs, etc. trying to pin down the issue. Wanted to ask if anyone else who uses MS5 has had this happen?

I ran out of time last night so plan to do some more checking when I get home. I was using activity monitor to try and see if MS5 was pulling a heavy load on the resources, but couldn't confirm this. Under Memory, the memory pressure was nothing, green line straight across showing no pressure. And in CPU, the most I saw was 4.06 GB in use, so that didn't make much sense. ... Hell, I've run a huge file in PS, while streaming a video and downloading content, and never seen any lag, except when maybe using a large brush that would show slight tracking, but it still worked.

Any help is appreciated. 

•  04-07-2014, 2:26 PM 425508 in reply to 425506

Just downloaded it & had a few minutes play, I have to say it feels very nice, the pencils are lovely, gonna have a read of the manual then have a proper play later. 
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML