Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Tarot Challenge #21 - The Emperor - FINAL

Last post 04-01-2013, 7:46 PM by kazky. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-27-2013, 5:35 PM 409628

Tarot Challenge #21 - The Emperor - FINAL

For those of you who don't know about this, we are going to have a bi-weekly challenge to depict a tarot card from the Major Arcana. This will last approximately a year. At the end of the year we will have the full Major Arcana. Two separate wips and a final image are required for entry. 

The final image must be in the form of a card, with the card name and number, not just a painting 
    I will give you a brief meaning, but it's probably a good idea to do your own research.

card divination and information with permission (c) Paranormality.com

The Emperor (L'Empereur)

Son of Morning: Chief Among the Mighty

Card Number: 4
    Key Number: 15
    Rulership: Aries
    Hebrew Letter: Heh
    Translation: Window
    Numerical Value: 12

Divinatory meaning
    Upright - Competitiveness, forcefulness in development and execution.  Authority, structure, governmental and corporate identities.  Worldly power, self control gained through experience.  Ability to shoulder responsibility. Powerful individuals, ambition together with the possibility of long term achievement.

post your FINAL in this thread and your WIPSl over here:  

This challenge ends midnight Friday 8th February we will then vote for the winning card, and then on to the next one
  •  02-08-2013, 2:24 PM 410457 in reply to 409628

Re: Tarot Challenge #21 - The Emperor - FINAL

Attachment: empereurfinal.jpg
    here goes the final version, wips1-2 - wip 3

•  02-09-2013, 12:39 AM 410503 in reply to 410499

Ok times up, vote for your 1st & 2nd fav - where did Komu go? 

mercurycat

heimdayel

you've got 24 hours to vote then it's the last card!  

•  02-09-2013, 7:35 AM 410513 in reply to 410503

Sorry guys, I got a new job and I didn't realise how tiring one and half to two less hours of free time would be during the day. I will finish my piece eventually and then post it here, or in the wips thread, but I didn't think it would be fair to the others who spent a lot of work on it, to submit a only halfway finished piece.

That being said, here's my winning few:

1. Heimdayel, it's the blues. They are wonderful. You usually work with reds and golds, but these hues are really good and I would like to encourage you to use them more often. Great piece! The legs feel slightly short, but that could be because of the billowing fabric.

2. Mercurycat, it's so great to see you on board again! You've definitely gotten better since your last entry, and I would really like to see you with us on the last tarot card challenge again. Good work!

(Oh, and for the next challenge; should you notice I'm pretty silent for the first week; I'll be off snowboarding. There's time to draw there, but I'm not sure if there'll be an internet connection...)

Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  02-09-2013, 3:15 PM 410530 in reply to 410503

1 - Mercurycat: you keep getting better and better with each entry, i'll second komu and hope you'll stick with us for the last one - nice design for your wise old king, really like that ramhorn-cane; kinda feel like the thumb on that hand is slightly too short)

hah well I had planned to use more earthly colours for the World (you'll see why with the first wip), though I guess I can sneak some blues in there :P oh, and the Star and Moon had plenty of purple...closest to blues that I can think of off the top of my head

*edit for elo to prevent vote page clutter* nice :D high five for subscriptions... will you be joining the fun for the last card? ou les cours sont ils encore trop intenses?

•  02-09-2013, 4:22 PM 410531 in reply to 410530

I don't know if it's still voting time but here :

1- Heimdayel

2- Mercurycat

Sorry don't have much time to write critiques. Great job ^^!

(Hey Heim, Marie, I received my first Issue of IFX ^^!!!!! Je suis vraiment trop contente! ahah)

•  02-10-2013, 4:48 PM 410569 in reply to 410531

1 - heimdayel. Your swirling fabric and colouring are just awesome. 

Thanks for the encouragement, I am definitely improving in all areas but still find human anatomy and poses daunting. Hope to be able to join in on the last one but I'm away soon so might not be able to contribute.:(

Would love to see you return for the last one elodea. 

•  02-10-2013, 5:40 PM 410574 in reply to 410569

Sadly, I'm worried it won't be possible... School starts Monday and it's my last 5months of my technique.. I'm in 2D animation and I'm doing a demo of 30 seconds. That means it will be the biggest part of the production so... unfortunately, no time for me :/ Good luck for you all ^^!

edit : sorry for "vote page clutter" ... ^^"  oui trop intenses les cours..

•  02-18-2013, 6:27 AM 410910 in reply to 410574

That's a pity :(

Is it safe to say that Heimdayel won this challenge? If so, congrats!! 

Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  02-18-2013, 8:17 AM 410913 in reply to 410910

Yes, Heimdayel won :)

Congrats!

And it's time for the last card! I don't think kazky posted a challenge yet? (Valentine's must have kept her busy Stick out tongue) but I think someone mentioned it being "the world"? So get started! :)

www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  02-18-2013, 8:41 AM 410914 in reply to 410913

yeah sorry guys, i've had a week off work and my husband was back (he works 5 weeks and is back for 1 week) so that's my excuse!

Charlotte is right, it is The World, i'll get the final card thread up later today/tomorrow.

•  04-01-2013, 4:05 PM 412668 in reply to 410914

*pokes mods..runs to hide self*

so I know there was that big thread discussing changes for the weeklies and all - has the last tarot card been dropped as collateral damage/are there plans to merge it with a regular weekly? got some sketches done, but don't want to further work on it and finish the card before the thread is actually up Stick out tongue

•  04-01-2013, 4:14 PM 412669 in reply to 412668

I'd really hope the last card will still go through. I've got some sketches done for them too, but like Heimdayel says, don't want to finish before it's actually up.
    Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  04-01-2013, 4:37 PM 412670 in reply to 412669

well it's just one card, I'm pretty sure it slipped kazkys mind rather than the challenge being abandoned just at the finish... It sure slipped my mind... Embarrassed
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML