Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #11 - Death - FINAl

Last post 07-01-2012, 2:43 PM by janemini. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-18-2012, 11:08 PM 390071

Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #11 - Death - FINAl

For those of you who don't know about this, we are going to have a bi-weekly challenge to depict a tarot card from the Major Arcana. This will last approximately a year. At the end of the year we will have the full Major Arcana. Two wips and a final are required for entry.

The only real stipulation is that The final image must be in the form of a card, with the card name and number, not just a painting
    I will give you a brief meaning, but it's probably a good idea to do your own research.

card # 11

Death (La Mort)
    The Child of the Great Transformers; The Lord of the Gate of Death

Card Number: 13
    Key Number: 24
    Rulership: Scorpio
    Hebrew Letter: Nun
    Translation: Fish 
    Numerical Value: 12

Divinatory meaning
    Upright - The beginning of a new life. As a result of underlying circumstances transformation and change.  Major changes.  The end of a phase in life which has served its purpose.  Abrupt and complete change of circumstances, way of life and patterns of behaviour due to past events and actions.  Alterations.

card divination and information (c) Paranormality.com 

post your Final  in here

WIPS in the WIP thread

This challenge ends midnight  Friday 29th June - we will then vote for the winning card, and then on to the next one
  •  06-28-2012, 8:28 PM 390959 in reply to 390071

Re: Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #11 - Death - FINAl

This has been great fun to do and I have learnt a lot in the process.

Wip 1

Wip 2

Wip 3

Wip 4

Wip 5

(edited size)

•  06-29-2012, 11:59 AM 391016 in reply to 390071

Death Final

Here's my final rendition of the death card. Hope you guys like it!

Here are WIPs

WIP1

WIP2

WIP3

WIP4

By the way... English is not my first language so if you see something wrong with my grammar please let me know. Thanks in advance! :D

http://janemini.deviantart.com/
  •  06-29-2012, 6:44 PM 391045 in reply to 390071

Attachment: mortfinalD.jpg

wondeful entries this week, gl all!

wips 1-4 - wip 5 - wip 6

memento mori

•  06-30-2012, 12:27 AM 391070 in reply to 391055

ok time is up, great entries for this card, well done to everyone!

vote for your 1st, 2nd & 3rd favourite from the entries below

komugurakingdom

heimdayel

janemini

Rikkumon

you have 24 hours, the new challenge is already up
  •  06-30-2012, 7:59 AM 391093 in reply to 391070

Since there's only three other participants, there's time to talk about everyone's piece this time!

1. Janemini - a very strong first entry. What I like most about your piece is the speed and the dynamics that it seems to have. Your brushes have been picked well to further this concept, and your horse is incredibly convincing. As I think horses are very difficult to draw, you have my sincere respect. To improve this (I don't think it will have to be improved a lot more, but I'd like to give some constructive criticism to everyone this time because that's what keeps us learning), I think you could improve on the hood. You make me want to master horse drawing now... 

2. Heimdayel - again, your details do it for me. The chain mail doesn't feel all that like chain mail, but that doesn't matter, because the texture came out awesomely anyway - instead it looks more like an ethereal type of fabric. The highlights of this piece are definitely the gems. I love how they catch the light and are not just made of one colour. Good job! For some constructive criticism, I would really like to see you try to make your characters slightly more buff sometime to see how that works out. You draw awesome armour, and somehow in my mind a broader guy would work well in it. Don't worry to let the hair fall against the back either :)

3. Rikkumon - that you're in third place says nothing about your piece, because the entries were all very good this time and it was hard to choose. I like how you chose a completely different approach, going for a vector feel with comic art. Your work definitely has the better symbolics of the three and I just love your originality in general. As a comic art style, I don't think I can give you any feedback to improve on this, only that perhaps Death's right hand could have been a bit bigger. That's nitpicking though. In the Immortals monthly challenge you started working with gradations to get a more digital artsy style, so I would definitely recommend you keep using your strong silhouettes for that style too.

Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  06-30-2012, 11:34 AM 391103 in reply to 390071

Great work everyone! 

Thank you so much komugurakingdom for the critique! :) Yeah! I personally don't like his hood, I ran out of ideas. XD As for the horse... To be honest, I'm not pretty good when it comes to animal anatomy and I rarely draw them. (this challenge made me realize it!). It just that internet has been very useful and helpful! ^^

My votes:

1. heimdayel - Very nice, I especially like the border of your card. A pretty neat piece.

2. komugurakingdom - It would be nice if more details were added. But I like it anyway! :D

3. Rikkumon - This is cute! A nice stylized death card. You've really made it interesting!

This has been a great challenge! See you next card! :)

By the way... English is not my first language so if you see something wrong with my grammar please let me know. Thanks in advance! :D

•  06-30-2012, 2:22 PM 391126 in reply to 391070

janemini - very energetic with death and its horse in a mid-action pose, lots of vibrant colours for something that's usually black - the smoky green soulstuff is a nice touch too - still feels a bit like a tcg pic to me but very good job overall!

rikkumon - interesting graphic design-y look to your character, and great idea to have all the symbolism embedded in his robes - like how you have that playing cards thing with the card name and number reversed at the top and bottom

komu - you have some nice subtle detailing in your painting (like that white horse barely hinted at), and again quite colourful for this subject

•  06-30-2012, 10:31 PM 391158 in reply to 391126

Hey all,

Some really great pieces. But there has to be order to all things :

1: Heimdayal - I like your work, the aesthetic of all your pieces in this project as a whole and the over all cardy feel. I can really see it being used in a deck of tarot cards and that is why, for me, you eek out over very tough competition. 

2:  Janemini - yours is, by far, the most accomplished technical work. But it feels to me that it is a work depicting death - not a card from a tarot deck. 

3: komugurakingdom- similar to above. Good work - but next time I would suggest thinking more about the 'card' as a whole. Think about it in a tarot deck and how that would be presented. 

Really great work from all of you and I look forward to the next one! 

Rik 

•  07-01-2012, 12:18 AM 391182 in reply to 391158

This is a bit difficult,

komugurakingdom -4

heimdayel -8

janemini -8

Rikkumon -4

this week we have two winners! congrats to you both!

•  07-01-2012, 10:36 AM 391200 in reply to 391182

Congrays, Heimdayel and Janemini!

Also, thanks for the constructive criticism :) This is why I really love this forum. 

Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  07-01-2012, 2:22 PM 391212 in reply to 391182

woah tie, that's a first for the tarot challenges - well done and grats to you janemini!

and for the rest of you, ty for your votesSmile (and crits! I,ll see about doing some buffer elves sometime :P)

•  07-01-2012, 2:43 PM 391218 in reply to 390071

Thanks a lot everyone for the votes! And congrats heimdayel!! :D

View as RSS news feed in XML