Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Font size

Last post 02-22-2012, 5:50 PM by joeparis. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-18-2012, 4:05 PM 374770

Font size

Unless I'm doing something wrong (and wouldn't that be different!) then the largest that I can get any font in Photoshop to be is 86.4pts. Now that's just not even close to the size required for a piece I'm doing and I wondered if these isn't some way of making it larger.

Thanks for any help. 

In Vitro Veritas
  •  02-18-2012, 8:04 PM 374776 in reply to 374770

Re: Font size

you just manually type the font size you want into the box sartorious
  •  02-18-2012, 9:04 PM 374781 in reply to 374776

Attachment: Tenderloin .jpg

Indeed, but 86.4 is the largest it will let me go, regardless of the font style. Just look at how inappropriately small it is in the WIP that I've included.

And thanks for replying, Kaz. 

In Vitro Veritas
  •  02-18-2012, 10:06 PM 374786 in reply to 374781

Is that in Photoshop Sartorius? It sounds very strange (it won't let me use decimal values at all... Since points are the smallest screen units, so to speak, you can't really have half (or 0,4) of them... Nor have I ever been stopped from increasing the size above the drop down list's maximum of 72.)
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  02-18-2012, 10:15 PM 374787 in reply to 374786

Yes, it is Photoshop The drag right now is that I just shut 'er down for the day. I've got to leave this until tomorrow but will count on getting help to resolve this. As you can see, the damned type is too small for the piece.

Thanks, Charlotte 

In Vitro Veritas
  •  02-18-2012, 10:20 PM 374788 in reply to 374787

• em... is not online. Last active: 22-04-2014, 12:52 AM em...
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-10-2007
    • He claims to be a human from a planet called Erp
    • Posts 4,845

What are the dimensions and resolution of your image?

I've just experimented with a file that was A4 size, at 300dpi, in CMYK, and it would let me type text up to a size of 1296pt.

•  02-19-2012, 12:36 PM 374817 in reply to 374788

Must confess that I don't understand 'A4 size', but I was at a piddling 150 dpi in RGB. The dpi thing had been on my mind and I just cranked it up to 300, but the font size has not extended past the 86.4 cut off. After that, it drops to 72 down to, what is it, 2 pts.? 

I want to say that I've used larger lettering in the past, but can't swear to it because I don't use them often.

And aside from improving my skills and enhancing my knowledge, I need a new computer. This thing is seven years old and has a zillion hair thin lines running vertically down the screen. And even with MacKeeper (the cheapest version) it's no longer at the top of it's game. The other day I had Photoshop, Preview, and iTunes open, and when I tried to check my mail the whole thing froze up tighter than a bull's butt. Was a time when this would have been a piece of cake and then some.

Ah well, back to my letter to the editor, as something in this months issue has left me seeing red.

Thanks all for your ongoing help, and of course this current problem remains unsolved. 

In Vitro Veritas
  •  02-20-2012, 7:14 PM 374905 in reply to 374817

Hum what font is it? It looks like Rosewood. I'm pretty sure that font is just like any other font so you should definitely be able to get any size you want.

Have you tried changing the font size of other font? Does this only happen to this font? Because I am under the impression that you might not be doing it right when you try to change your font size. Did you highlight your text, then type into the size you want?

Also, you can use transform tool and enlarge your font by dragging the corners of the bound box manually. Have you tried that?

Yian 2012
  •  02-21-2012, 6:39 PM 374968 in reply to 374905

Yian:

Hum what font is it? It looks like Rosewood. I'm pretty sure that font is just like any other font so you should definitely be able to get any size you want.

Have you tried changing the font size of other font? Does this only happen to this font? Because I am under the impression that you might not be doing it right when you try to change your font size. Did you highlight your text, then type into the size you want?

Also, you can use transform tool and enlarge your font by dragging the corners of the bound box manually. Have you tried that?

I haven't got PS open and so can't tell you the name of the font.

As to your other questions: Yes, No, Yes, and No, I didn't think of that.

Thanks for your help.

In Vitro Veritas
  •  02-21-2012, 6:42 PM 374970 in reply to 374905

As well as trying any of the above suggestions, I would try opening a new pic (and using the same font) see if it will let you go larger in the new pic. ... If it does, maybe you have locked it at this size somehow, or something else happened? Just a thought...

My Sketchbook ... My Gallery
  •  02-22-2012, 1:39 AM 374994 in reply to 374970

Great idea! I just got home from the hospital, having undergone a wee bit of a procedure. Thus, I am sore, on meds, and in no shape to navigate PS. But first thing tomorrow, I shall test drive your idea.

Thanks 

UPDATE:

I got it! I wasn't even aware of this, but on the tool bar, beside the font sizes, are two 'T's, one large and one small. Click on that and drag,and provided you remembered to highlight the type, it will grow as if by magick.

Case closed.

And thanks to all of you.

Chrysalis Sartorious 

In Vitro Veritas
  •  02-22-2012, 5:27 PM 375031 in reply to 374994

:) which is basically what typing the size you want into box next to the two 'T's next to it does
  •  02-22-2012, 5:50 PM 375035 in reply to 374994

Sartorious:
    Case closed.

Is it? Why wasn't it working when, as Kaz suggested, you type in a large size in the Set font size box? Is that still a problem?

View as RSS news feed in XML