Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Wacom nibs

Last post 03-13-2010, 11:40 AM by wilghaggisis. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-06-2010, 11:41 PM 283298

Wacom nibs

I purchased a Wacom Bamboo pen and touch only a few days ago and already the nib seems to be getting rather rough, so how long are the nibs supposed to last and where can I get different nibs?

Oh and PS it was advertised as having Photoshop essentials but there was no sign of that in the box? Also on Wacoms website it says it also comes with Artrage?

It's not what to sketch or do it's the love that we give to you.
    www.flickr.com/photos/edtuckerartist/
    www.gogle.com
    www.edtuckerartist.weebly.com
    www.casimireffectfilm.com
    www.facebook.com/edtuckerartist
    twitter.com/edtuckerartist

•  03-07-2010, 12:05 AM 283299 in reply to 283298

Re: Wacom nibs

i'm getting a the new bamboo soon, just waiting for it to arrive (i have the old one with the buttons at the top rather at the side and i've had enough of the faulty pen D:) donno how long they last on the new one i'm afraid :/  people say the intous 4 wears them down really fast though so it might be the paper like surface thats doing it.

anyway  there should be a disk for it in the box as far as the wacom website says, give wacom a ring/mention on there forums that the soft wear is missing wacom may be able to do something about it.  artrage however is via download only, maybe there's some instructions to get it?

http://wildhaggisis.deviantart.com/
    http://wildhaggisis.blogspot.com/
  •  03-07-2010, 1:32 AM 283306 in reply to 283299

how hard are you pressing?! i had my intuos for 9 months before i had my cintiq, in that 9 months i changed it once, only because i wanted to try the felt nib, and i've had my cintiq over two years now & i haven't changed the nib apart from to check out the different ones.
  •  03-07-2010, 11:26 PM 283425 in reply to 283306

Not that hard, my Wacom volito lasted quite some time and I could not change the nib on that! I have a couple of spare nibs but if they wear down this quick I'm going to need a lot more lol

www.gogle.com

Filed under: , , ,
  •  03-08-2010, 2:13 PM 283524 in reply to 283298

I have a a bamboo 4 by 5 and you SHOULD get a small plastic bag full of replacement nibs with it. 

I think I 4 or 5 

Leaders of the Rebellion
  •  03-08-2010, 2:58 PM 283534 in reply to 283298

The newer nibs are softer than the older Intuos 3 nibs and wear down quite quickly. I've seen some people organise a nib share scheme whereby one person buys a large number of nibs and posts them to others at cost. This is because Wacom can charge parcel postage that is often more than the cost of a pack of five tiny nibs. If someone buys a whole lot (single shipping cost) then they can easily stick some nibs into an envelope and send them to "members" for the price of a stamp.
  •  03-08-2010, 6:59 PM 283602 in reply to 283534

They don't make 'em like they used to. My old Intuos 2 nibs have lasted me years.

http://www.madhamsterstudios.co.uk
  •  03-08-2010, 7:23 PM 283610 in reply to 283602

I've had the older Bamboo (buttons at the top and a strangely random touch ring) for nearly 2 years now and I'm still on my first nib (although it is a little flat in places.) It came with three spare nibs, Photoshop Elements and ArtRage 2.2 on a disc with no need for any downloads. So if you haven't got what you paid for then pick up the phone and put your complaining hat on.
  •  03-09-2010, 4:21 PM 283818 in reply to 283610

Funny i was going to make a post about nibs then i saw this. When should you change the nib? Are there sighns when it begins to wear out?

Changing myself one pixel at a time
  •  03-09-2010, 4:29 PM 283821 in reply to 283818

With wear and tear and constant pressure the nib can become flattened on one side or at the top. Not a big problem really for drawing except there's an increased possibility of a sharp edge scratching the drawing surface. Besides, when I do eventually replace the nib it feels much smoother; more pleasant to use, a bit like a newly sharpened pencil on the first page of a brand new sketchbook.
  •  03-12-2010, 7:24 PM 284515 in reply to 283298

from wacom on facebook:

Wacom
    I asked about this. Because customers asked, we gave the new I4 tablet surface a more tactile, traditional pen-on-paper feel. This appears to be wearing out the nibs faster--much like you can't have a lot of grip and tread on your tires and longevity too.

www.gogle.com

•  03-13-2010, 2:40 AM 284596 in reply to 284515

where-as older versions came with the programs on the disc, my buddy got an Intuos4 a bit ago and there was a slip of paper with it that directed him to the website to download the programs for free. Check all your paperwork and see if there's a promo slip or something.

on the other hand, if you go to the Intuos page you can find promos there.

If you're looking for artrage, I noticed the newest issue of IFX says it's on the disc. gonna take a peak myself to see. let you know in a few.  Smile

•  03-13-2010, 2:54 AM 284601 in reply to 284596

And there it is. Kewl. I'll finally get to try it out. Smile

•  03-13-2010, 11:40 AM 284638 in reply to 284601

i got my bamboo the otherday you have to register your tablet then you can download the softwear through them. theres a booklet in the softwear pack with boost your bamboo on the front that has a code on the back. that should be all you need :)
    http://wildhaggisis.deviantart.com/
    http://wildhaggisis.blogspot.com/
View as RSS news feed in XML