Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Actually Doing the Workshops?

Last post 02-05-2010, 4:44 PM by rcallicotte. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-18-2010, 5:05 AM 272212

Actually Doing the Workshops?

What's the best way to do the workshops? Is it best to try and copy the artist's work or is it OK to just apply the techniques from the workshop to artwork you'd normally do for yourself?

Thanks,

Pierce

•  01-19-2010, 5:48 PM 272557 in reply to 272212

Re: Actually Doing the Workshops?

I tend to take the bits I like from the workshops and try them in my own work flow... such as it is. Probably not the best way.

AlReidArt.com
    Deviant Art Gallery
  •  01-21-2010, 3:42 AM 272906 in reply to 272557

There's nothing wrong with copying their techniques, but I found it best that if you are going to duplicate it try to repeat over and over so that the practice becomes second nature and that you can see the differences each time you do it and what causes what.

Learning is still learning and some of the best artists had to learn off of others works too.

Gallery | Newgrounds | DeviantART | Flckr

New to IFX? Say hello
  •  01-22-2010, 12:46 AM 273133 in reply to 272557

I'm the same as yourself Harlequin, although when I sit down and go through it step by step I usually glean a bit more from them.

---

•  02-05-2010, 5:36 AM 276308 in reply to 272212

I think its best to copy straight with the exact same design when you are a beginner. Like a pencil, first you need to know the technicalities of shadings before trying out to shade different things. Remember the younger days when we copy straight from our favourite comic pages before trying out our own poses? That's how we learnt how to draw isn't it:)
    "Accept the reality, but believe the impossible"

luffie.deviantart.com

My SKetchBook Thread, You Should Click Here!
  •  02-05-2010, 4:44 PM 276485 in reply to 276308

I agree with luffie - a little small step by following directions helps me, but someday maybe I'll be more apt to learn by seeing the steps and immediately applying.  Some of this is learning based upon a foundation I don't quite have yet.  But, I love this magazine.  The people who create it are making it useful and divergent and something useful.  There are so few magazines like this with real content. 

I'm so THANKFUL for these workshops as well as the many other pieces of ImagineFX. Big Smile

View as RSS news feed in XML