Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #11 - Death - WIPS

Last post 06-28-2012, 9:35 PM by janemini. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-12-2012, 9:15 PM 389523

Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #11 - Death - WIPS

For those of you who don't know about this, we are going to have a bi-weekly challenge to depict a tarot card from the Major Arcana. This will last approximately a year. At the end of the year we will have the full Major Arcana. Two wips and a final are required for entry.

The only real stipulation is that The final image must be in the form of a card, with the card name and number, not just a painting
    I will give you a brief meaning, but it's probably a good idea to do your own research.

card # 11

Death (La Mort)
    The Child of the Great Transformers; The Lord of the Gate of Death

Card Number: 13
    Key Number: 24
    Rulership: Scorpio
    Hebrew Letter: Nun
    Translation: Fish 
    Numerical Value: 12

Divinatory meaning
    Upright - The beginning of a new life. As a result of underlying circumstances transformation and change.  Major changes.  The end of a phase in life which has served its purpose.  Abrupt and complete change of circumstances, way of life and patterns of behaviour due to past events and actions.  Alterations.

card divination and information (c) Paranormality.com 

post your WIPS  in here

FINALS in the FINAL thread

This challenge ends midnight  Friday 29th June - we will then vote for the winning card, and then on to the next one

•  06-18-2012, 3:23 PM 390024 in reply to 389523

Re: Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #11 - Death - WIPS

Wish I had known about this challenge sooner - I would have entered every challenge! Great topic.

With today being a day off I will try and get something done! This is also a chance to work with the pen tool which I have been playing with recently.

Wip 1

Rik

•  06-18-2012, 4:47 PM 390029 in reply to 390024

WIP2

•  06-18-2012, 10:11 PM 390066 in reply to 390029

Wip3 - With experimental Halftone

•  06-19-2012, 4:54 AM 390083 in reply to 390066

Don't know if I'll be able to enter this one... I hope so!! ^^

Great job so far Rikkumon ^^ your card is really nice. I love the steps of life in his clothes ;)

•  06-19-2012, 8:41 AM 390095 in reply to 390024

Rikkumon:

Wish I had known about this challenge sooner - I would have entered every challenge! Great topic.

lots yet to go Rik, so you'll have lots of play time - great card for Death by the way!

•  06-22-2012, 3:06 PM 390384 in reply to 390095

Attachment: mortwips1.jpg

rikk - very nice graphical style, nice touch to have all the card's symbology inside the character

trying to step away from the grim reaper imagery for this one (skulls included..made him look too evil, which he ain't); more of an executioner patiently waiting for the next one in line to come to the block

...oh yea, this one is the black crow from the wheel of fortune, thus the iridescent-y black skin

•  06-23-2012, 12:45 AM 390424 in reply to 390384

Small update - have some time set aside for more work this weekend.

Thanks all for the nice comments. I like your image so far Heimdayel – especially the patient expression.

Rik

•  06-23-2012, 8:17 AM 390444 in reply to 390424

Attachment: 2012-06-23-death.jpg

Rikkumon, nice style!

Heimdayel, this piece reminds me of your mage. I'm liking the horns and the black and white setup. Keep it going :)

I'll try to participate in this one as well, although I've set most of my time on the monthly challenge this time. Maybe something with the Mexican Day of the Dead. 

Edit: Okay, it's Saturday and I got inspired... 

Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  06-23-2012, 4:16 PM 390471 in reply to 390384

Attachment: mortwip2.jpg

komugura - fancy headpiece you have there! want to see more of this one's clothing design :D - somewhat similar yea, the mage was practice for this one

wip 2 (or 5?) fairly happy with the chainmail, might have to define some links here and there - that cheekbone is kinda bugging me though...

•  06-24-2012, 8:17 AM 390553 in reply to 390471

Another one. Experimenting with colour a bit. However, I like the black and white feel - with the splash of blue.

Any thoughts?

Rik

•  06-24-2012, 12:30 PM 390583 in reply to 390553

yeah i like it too Rik, i think it works well
  •  06-25-2012, 6:53 AM 390627 in reply to 390583

Rikkumon, the blue is very nice, definitely!

Heimdayel, maybe darken the cheekbones a little. As for the armour details, uh, I was so motivated I kinda finished the piece in one sitting. Without card details, this is it;

(Kazky, can this count as WIP2, with the borders added in the final piece? Otherwise I'll upload the black and whites as well.) 

Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  06-25-2012, 6:23 PM 390671 in reply to 389523

Hello everyone!

It's been almost a year and a half since the last time I participated in any IMFX art challenges. Now I'm back and ready to take up a new challenge! :D

This Tarot Card Challenge looks interesting and very challenging but I still wanted to give it a shot!

Death Studies

Here are my studies... The beginning of a new life.

Comments and  critiques are welcome!

Cool entries BTW! komugurakingdom is not online. Last active: 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM

komugurakingdom nice style! love the warm and cool colors! I'm not really sure, but I think his neck is too long. If you could move his head a little I think it would be good. That's all! ^^

By the way... English is not my first language so if you see something wrong with my grammar please let me know. Thanks in advance! :D

By the way... English is not my first language so if you see something wrong with my grammar please let me know. Thanks in advance! :D

http://janemini.deviantart.com/
  •  06-26-2012, 5:47 PM 390771 in reply to 389523

I don't feel confident with my first three thumbnails yesterday. That's why up until now I haven't made much progress. And here's what I've done so far... a revised version of the last thumbnail.

By the way... English is not my first language so if you see something wrong with my grammar please let me know. Thanks in advance! :D

http://janemini.deviantart.com/
Page 1 of 2 (21 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML