Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Apple iPad

Last post 05-11-2012, 6:52 PM by dferriman. 93 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (94 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-27-2010, 7:51 PM 274298

Apple iPad

Has anyone else been looking at the info on the new Apple iPad? Is this a new way to sketch or create paintings on the go? There's some mention of launching with art software.

Link: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/portable-computing/apple-ipad-our-first-impressions-666520

•  01-27-2010, 8:23 PM 274304 in reply to 274298

Re: Apple iPad

Ah nice, I heard it was gonna launch at £1000, but seems there's a much much cheaper version shipping - might be the perfect thing for me, as my DS is a little small for painting on the go.
    Facebook

Deviant Art
  •  01-27-2010, 9:06 PM 274313 in reply to 274304

hmmm not sure really, i just love my cintiq though, it'd have to be pretty fabulous to sway me from that. Actually from what i gathered it's just a big iphone isn't it? i'm not really getting that it's a tablet pc?

here's a direct clicky linky link

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/portable-computing/apple-ipad-our-first-impressions-666520
  •  01-27-2010, 9:37 PM 274318 in reply to 274313

Yeah Kaz looks like a big iphone - the difference (for me) is that it doesn't have a monthly subscription as far as I'm aware, which makes it a bit more like a little tablet pc - and for $499 I'm not sure there's anything that size and price. So might be a good little painting thing! Difference between a cintiq, not that I wouldn't love a cintiq, I guess is it's super portable and has 10hr battery life.

No idea if it has pressure sensitivity or photoshop etc though! 

Facebook

Deviant Art
  •  01-28-2010, 2:05 AM 274383 in reply to 274318

how about checking out the main link. Wink

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

price starts at $499 US for the base model and runs up from there depending on the storage space. looks really really good. can't say I'll ever be able to afford one even at that price but I gotta admit it looks and sounds amazing. especially if it has art capabilities as well. 

•  01-28-2010, 3:40 AM 274394 in reply to 274383

It really is just a giant iPhone.....and that's not actually a good thing, considering it's size. I guess you could try Colors for the iPhone on it...somehow I doubt it would be the same if it even worked.

better link http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/editorial-engadget-on-the-ipad/

Alex: No it won't run Photoshop...and I suspect that pressure sensitivity is extrapolated from the conductivity of your finger or pogo stylus on the screen.

Wizard's First Rule
  •  01-28-2010, 6:54 AM 274410 in reply to 274394

Won't you look a bit stupid holding that to your ear?

Edit: Plucked this from your link Penabled - must watch. YouTube: iPad

•  01-28-2010, 7:51 AM 274415 in reply to 274410

Only if it has wings!

Time to move along folks. Nothing to see. Come back in gen 2 or 3 (no USB ports as well. fail)  :(  

Wacom Evangelist - Europe
  •  01-28-2010, 7:53 AM 274416 in reply to 274415

This is still the better slate tablet to use for graphic artists

•  01-28-2010, 8:40 AM 274425 in reply to 274416

What model is that Koshime?:) Definitely getting a portable tablet pc of some kind this year for painting!
    Facebook

Deviant Art
  •  01-28-2010, 8:55 AM 274429 in reply to 274415

koshime:

Time to move along folks. Nothing to see. Come back in gen 2 or 3 (no USB ports as well. fail)  :(  

i agree, i'm actually failing to see the point of the it, who will it appeal to, i think it's a big mistake making it look the same as an iphone, you will get people putting it to their ear as joe says. Strange of apple to do something like this i think!

i do very much like the slate, even though i don't need it, i drrrrooool!

•  01-28-2010, 9:39 AM 274435 in reply to 274429

kazky:
    koshime:

i agree, i'm actually failing to see the point of the it, who will it appeal to, i think it's a big mistake making it look the same as an iphone, you will get people putting it to their ear as joe says. Strange of apple to do something like this i think!

i do very much like the slate, even though i don't need it, i drrrrooool!

That's my thinking as well, plus it will take a couple of generations for the apps to catch up. I don't think the screen is pressure sensitivity either, which I'd find hard to get on with (at my ability level I need all the help I can get).

It seems to be Apple's stab at a netbook/e-reader combo rather than a Modbook. A darn sexy one mind. Mmm, shiny...

http://infinatepixel.deviantart.com/
  •  01-28-2010, 10:36 AM 274440 in reply to 274435

To  be realistic, the itampon is really targeted at generating a new nich market of ebook/entertainment platform. Artist which for ma small demographic of a few thousand is not a sufficient reason to develop a pressure sensitive platform.

So lets look at the demographics:

• Hype/Marketing - Excedingly well
    • Brand Name - Fail
    • Demographic: Presentation/Web browsing/ebooks (NOT for artists)
    • Applications: Games - hmmm. ipod/ds/psp is better. Its just too expensive as a gaming machine when a nice ole ps3/xbox can give you better non portable resolution/enjoyment.
    • Technology - 10 hours batt life (from their new powerbook advancement is impressive)
    • Touchsensitive - a giant app for colours/web browsing/presentation
    • Drawbacks: Ports - no usb? fail.
    Strategy
    • It will succeed in generating a new platform for Gen 2 and Gen 3
    • Perhaps in Gen 2 or 3, you may have the basic pressure sensitivity, akin to early wacom intuos 1 range 

•  01-28-2010, 2:35 PM 274463 in reply to 274415

koshime:

Only if it has wings!

The top of the range model with all the extra features is going to be called the MaxiPad.

http://www.madhamsterstudios.co.uk
  •  01-28-2010, 2:37 PM 274464 in reply to 274440

Looks like this thread beat me too it. I was excited about the Ipad/itablet until I found out it really is just a large iphone. Without a stylus any art program  may not be what we want it to be.

more images

link

Gallery | Newgrounds | DeviantART | Flckr

New to IFX? Say hello
Page 1 of 7 (94 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML