Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Let's start a war!

Last post 07-02-2012, 3:29 PM by Conscious Bob. 141 replies.
Page 1 of 10 (142 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-26-2012, 1:31 PM 383078

Let's start a war!

I don't know if this subject has been brouched before, but I am curious to know what you folks may think of this.

Like many of you I am a film fan and very much enjoy looking deeply into a films creative processes. After all, it's not just the finished aticle that represents the film, but a whole progression of idea development as wel as having a vast raft of people who have had input into it. But, ever since Terminator 2 (1991 I believe) and Jurassic park (1993), the emphasis has been increasingly on CGI and other overwhelming special effects. (Were there any actual real actors in Avatar?!)

When I was youngster, I would love to sit in front of the T.V. with my brother and sister for an hour on a sunday and watch Jim Henson's The Story Teller. I was amazed at the puppets that his team produced and there have been loads of examples since of intellegant uses of puppets in other movies (albeit, made-for-tv movies, sadly) and I have found them equally captivating.

Hence this thread. I, for one, would love to see so much more physical, real and present puppets and models and proportionally less CGI in movies. It is so obvious when CGI is used and although it often looks great (no arguments from me there) it simply lacks the weight and tactility of having something physically infront of the actors for them to interact with, as well as having the subtle and often missing effects of ambient and reflected lighting that places an object in an environmet. CGI creators are only human and cannot cover all the bases!

After watching Star Wars the Third (Revenge of the Sith - which could inspire a whole thread in itself!!) I was struck by the disapointing lack-of-set feel to it all. When the actors have to act opposit characters that don't exist and in environments that are just large green rooms, I think, it always suffers.

But what about you? What do you prefere?

Let's start a war. CGI vs. Jim Henson.

Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!
  •  04-26-2012, 1:39 PM 383081 in reply to 383078

Re: Let's start a war!

Domtopia:

I, for one, would love to see so much more physical, real and present puppets and models and proportionally less CGI in movies.

I wouldn't. By that, I don't mean that I disagree with your sentiment, but that I approach it from a different perspective. I believe the effects, and the techniques used, should be whatever is right for the job at hand. There are some film makers out there that know what they are doing and can utilise digital effects very well and convincingly, and use them as a means to tell a story. I don't think they should be using those effects less, I think they should continue to use them wisely. Discounting digital effects work completely in favour of practical methods for the sake of it is a silly idea.

Use the right tool for the job. 

http://www.madhamsterstudios.co.uk
  •  04-26-2012, 8:40 PM 383146 in reply to 383081

Puppets look like crap. We should try to make the CGI look better, instead of falling back to inferior methods.
    Yian 2012
  •  04-26-2012, 8:50 PM 383149 in reply to 383078

Domtopia:
    But what about you? What do you prefere?

Let's start a war. CGI vs. Jim Henson.

Only one thing worse than an actor getting emotional with CGI and that's an actor getting emotional with a puppet. 

•  04-26-2012, 10:08 PM 383170 in reply to 383149

Jim Henson has taken three in the gut!

Any defenders?

Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!
  •  04-27-2012, 12:29 AM 383184 in reply to 383170

Domtopia:

Jim Henson has taken three in the gut!

Any defenders?

Two. I didn't give a preference. I said both had merit in the right circumstances. Having said that, I will happily watch Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal any day of the week, but I've seen Avatard (no that's not a typo) once, and if there was any way I could get that week (or whatever the running time was) back I'd gladly do so.

•  04-27-2012, 5:08 AM 383197 in reply to 383184

I thought Avatar was awesome, except its story. It feels like someone in high school came up with the script.
    Yian 2012
  •  04-27-2012, 8:10 AM 383199 in reply to 383197

I agree with Yian on Avatar. And I think banj is right (!) about choosing the right technique for the right project. I usually really like cgi but it does have its weaknesses. It's improving quite fast in my opinion, though, so I'm hoping many of those weaknesses will be unnoticeable in only a few years time.
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  04-27-2012, 8:15 AM 383201 in reply to 383199

i'm with banj on Labyrinth, i could watch it any day of the week, and it works so well, however apart from that i really dislike puppets in movies, it makes me very aware that they are puppets and takes me out of the magic of the movie.

Avatar in my opinion was spectacular, yes the story was Fern Gully/Pocahontas/cowboys and indians, but the CGI was immense. But other movies it's sometimes not so good, so yeah i'd say banj was right, the right tools for the right job, but i do veer more towards CGI

•  04-27-2012, 9:01 AM 383209 in reply to 383201

I agree with banj too, except I like Avatar and detest Dark Crystal soooo much. I'd rather watch Eragon again than Dark Crystal and Eragon is the worst film I've ever seen.
  •  04-27-2012, 9:23 AM 383213 in reply to 383209

lol I didn't think Eragon was all that bad. They did change the script from the books so much that I don't know how they could possibly make a sequel without disregarding the books entirely, but if one ignores that...
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  04-27-2012, 9:55 AM 383220 in reply to 383213

I think people complain about CGI too much, it's not the CGI itself that is the problem, it's the sucky directors who don't understand how to use it convincingly, District 9 and Firefly are perfect examples of CGI being used right, I've also seen some very funny youtube stuff out there using effects, has anyone heard of freddy wong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo5-XpQ5Jkk

DIE YOU FUCKING PRAWNS! :D

•  04-27-2012, 9:58 AM 383222 in reply to 383220

Lethn:
    it's the sucky directors who don't understand how to use it convincingly, District 9 and Firefly are perfect examples of CGI being used right.

Wise words from one so young. Wink 

•  04-27-2012, 10:00 AM 383223 in reply to 383222

Even people who hate me have admitted I know a lot about games too >_< lol just wish it would translate to something that can make money.

*shakes fist at hateful lineart*

•  04-27-2012, 10:56 AM 383228 in reply to 383220

Lethn:

I think people complain about CGI too much, it's not the CGI itself that is the problem, it's the sucky directors who don't understand how to use it convincingly, District 9 and Firefly are perfect examples of CGI being used right, I've also seen some very funny youtube stuff out there using effects, has anyone heard of freddy wong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo5-XpQ5Jkk

DIE YOU FUCKING PRAWNS! :D

Yep, pretty much what I said above. I've watch Freddy Wong's channels for a while, his stuff is very entertaining and some are pretty cleverly done (and in the case of a few, so very true - damn you inverted users).

Page 1 of 10 (142 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML