Upload your portfolio today. Register here

MYFX Challenge #275 - Bram Stokers Dracula Tribute - WIPS

Last post 04-25-2012, 3:53 AM by Chantika. 60 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (61 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-23-2012, 5:46 PM 382280 in reply to 382267

Re: MYFX Challenge #275 - Bram Stokers Dracula Tribute - WIPS

Attachment: ifxwip1.jpg

looking nice everyone, particularly amazed at em...'s and gabriella's paintings - agree with the others, the bite marks should be parallel to the arm's veins the way he`s holding it

fooled around with hendryx's quoting of the book (haven't read it myself), spent around six hours painting yesterday...his clothing is anything but classical, not quite sure about it

•  04-23-2012, 5:48 PM 382285 in reply to 382280

Attachment: ifxwip2.jpg
    breaking this up for the sake of having two wip posts - here's where I am atm...might be a tad too dark
  •  04-23-2012, 7:58 PM 382350 in reply to 382285

Attachment: dracula-wip4.jpg

Lots of good stuff coming through!

Ok a few more tweaks and alterations.  Still need to work on the hair obviously. 

You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do.
  •  04-23-2012, 10:14 PM 382418 in reply to 382350

(Un)holy Crap! Theres some awesome work popping up on the last few forum challenges, just having a brief look. Might try one but not sure yet. Either way well done all, looking forward to the Finals on these! :)
  •  04-24-2012, 12:30 AM 382627 in reply to 380938

Attachment: dracula.jpg

Great work everyone! I am excited to see all of the variations. Having just read the book I was fresh with vision and listened to it while I painted. The book was kind of a letdown, started pretty cool but all and all, it’s a whole lot of V Helsing and hardly a scrap of D.  

carnal.im
  •  04-24-2012, 3:53 AM 382633 in reply to 380938

Attachment: dracula3.jpg
    I wanted more time for the ground/air-based rodents..... but ....nope.. thanks for the inspiration everyone.. cheers! right? 

carnal.im
  •  04-24-2012, 7:35 AM 382636 in reply to 382206

Thanks for all the great comments you guys. Just want to add that I used this image as a reference for the pose and hands. http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/119005/119005,1313426862,3/stock-photo-male-vampire-wants-to-bite-in-an-arm-82892026.jpg You guys think I should change the pose a bit more so to not be so close to the ref?

@Carnal, like that you added the brides, and the vamp animal in the foreground really gives it a dynamic quality.

@Kodabble The red on the inside of the cape really works well with your painting!

Nothing good lasts forever...except maybe jawbreakers...

DA gallery: http://nightshadeberry.deviantart.com/
  •  04-24-2012, 8:15 AM 382638 in reply to 382636

Attachment: dracul wip 3.jpg

Thanks for the critique Em and Gabrielle! I really like both of you're paintings ( altough it really makes it harder to win points in this contest!) the new additions on the forum are also top notch heres my fourth WIP, I think it will be my last, otherwise I have chain to many links in my final tomorrow! Good luck with finalizing the pictures everyone!

•  04-24-2012, 12:15 PM 382647 in reply to 382636

Gabriella - No I don’t think you need to change the pose, it appears to be a good reference and you made the final work uniquely your own. Even the scars are well done, but just think of where the two fangs would bite along the arm and how far apart they would be. Keep up the great work.

Gunsing - Like the steampunk look with the limited red on sepia color. If any comment of change: look at the back hairline to the hat. To me it makes the back of his head look too big with the hair not tucked into the hat. What do you think?

Carnel - Nice. Brides, wolves, rodents and bats. Don't know if you need the ground based ones. My eye keeps going to the brightest spot the fore rodent eye. You’re taking on a lot, keep going.

Sinistral - Nice portrait of what appears to be a white haired gentleman, Until you notice the mouth. Good job. Probably the closest to what you would expect the count to be.

Heimdayel - Like the use of wings that could also be cape.

Sugar - gave my choice of which I liked. Looking forward to see what you do.

Disco Matt - I like the original slick hair it goes best if you keep the original color scheme with purple light from below. Actually I think you are starting to pull off a Boris Karloff rather than Burt.

Em – Great job as always. Can’t wait to see the final.

Sonofwolfhound3 – Like Sinistral portrait of the monster disguised.  

Zinc – Like the use of the blood red sky. I’d keep the rest of the background simple like a silhouette,mabe ruined castle walls.

•  04-24-2012, 8:34 PM 382688 in reply to 382647

Looking good guys...

Gab: Quality! a really good complete piece, my only crit would be that I don't get Count Dracula from it but it is a quality vampire piece.

Zinc: still like it, want to see more

Sonofwolfhound: nice textures, nice profile idea just feels like there needs to be a bit more definition on certain areas to prevent the piece merging as one...I think.

Gunsing: looking good, I would be tempted to raise the Count a little for composition purposes and fade out the distant bats a bit

Em...: Love your style and ace lighting that compliments Counts Dracula expression, looking forward to the finished piece

Sugar: Prefer the top idea with the 'hand' and what  a hand! the whole picture works with his intensity, she seems a little 'stand offish' I would like to see her sort of give herself to him a bit more...not sure what I'm trying to say there lol hope you get it

Kodabble: nice concept! I would think alot more about lighting to really set it off

Heimdayel: Similar to Gab really, quality illustration but I don't get Count Dracula from it. Cool outfit tho!

Sinistral: I like it but since his face is so close I feel you need to go Money Supermarket (epic) on detailing his face!

Carrel: Cool idea, getting his 3 brides involved is always going catch my eye but the piece feels a little disjointed and needs harmonising a little

OK! I hope that helps at all...I never really like to give crits  as it feels like you're saying "Dude! I love it, buuuuuut..." which always makes me wince lol

•  04-24-2012, 9:14 PM 382693 in reply to 382688

Attachment: dracula-wip5.jpg
    Close to finished here I think.....

You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do.
  •  04-24-2012, 9:20 PM 382694 in reply to 382688

Hi everyone I wanted to share with you my wips :)

wip1 

•  04-24-2012, 9:22 PM 382695 in reply to 382694

wip2
  •  04-24-2012, 10:09 PM 382704 in reply to 382695

I'm still not sure what impresses me more, em...'s incredible art or his encyclopaedic knowledge of films. I haven't seen the John Carradine version, so any likeness is purely coincidental, although I may have to track down a copy now just for curiosity sake.

Thanks for the comments on the background. As suggested I want to keep it simple, hopefully so the count remains the focus. 

A little bit more from me. Unfortunately I forgot to sample one of my colours and I'm now finding it incredibly hard to match it for touch-ups. D'oh!

wip 3 

http://infinatepixel.deviantart.com/
  •  04-24-2012, 10:24 PM 382708 in reply to 382688

Disco Matt:
    I never really like to give crits  as it feels like you're saying "Dude! I love it, buuuuuut..." which always makes me wince lol

The praise could be a poison, but the justified criticism is a big favor. I like crit, I need crit, so do not feel bad about to give some to one who might need it. Buuuuuuut I do feel a bit awkward when giving a criticism thou and I always criticise myself first if I am right to give such a crit X-]

Btw a really nice pieces in this challenge! 

to Carnal - the light blue top left corner with the bats have all the attention and pushes the view away from all whats going on on the picture. The main character needs to stand out more. He is kind of blended in the same values.

to Heimdayel - I honestly (I have to use this word becouse of my smart words above :) love your interpretation of Dracula.

to Sugar -  I also like the first of the two better, with his arm around her.

I've found myself in lack of time to bring my piece to the end so not even posting the wip.

Page 4 of 5 (61 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML