Upload your portfolio today. Register here

February 2012 - MYFX Monthly Challenge - Farseer WIPS

Last post 03-11-2012, 9:47 PM by kazky. 173 replies.
Page 8 of 12 (174 items)   « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-24-2012, 3:27 PM 375154 in reply to 375152

Re: February 2012 - MYFX Monthly Challenge - Farseer WIPS

Probably last wip for today.

wip3

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."
    Photobucket
  •  02-24-2012, 4:38 PM 375156 in reply to 373412

Done quite a bit of detail adding and some changes too

•  02-24-2012, 8:49 PM 375173 in reply to 375152

Attachment: WIP03.png

segujo:  Much better--this is really looking sharp.  Your last few tweaks really made a positive difference.

samthedespoiler:  I like the artwork so far, but the fact that the top of her head is being cut off is kind of distracting. I guess the framing of the figure is what jumps out at me--it looks like the frame doesn't fit the image.

Claude Crow:  Very cool concept--wish I'd thought of it.

aocdb:  I like the expanded framing of the figure--it gives it a bit more room.  I also like the tilt as it gives it a very dynamic feel, but (and this could just be me), I think the tilt angle is too severe from 90.  Maybe dialing it back a few degrees would keep me from turning my head to look at the great figure work you did.

Here's the most recent update (not the full piece, cropped since the bottom of it still needs more work).  I made my peace with the left arm and got most everything blocked in.  Now just have to go at it with smaller brushes to tighten up the details and do some blending (especially the sky in the back). 

•  02-25-2012, 1:54 AM 375187 in reply to 373412

Woah, some amazing entries!  

Thanks Disco Matt, (yours is looking great btw) tried to make the farseer stand out more like suggested with lighter wings and a lighter cloak, (will go even lighter) and changing the wings completely.

Segujo, I really like the recent update! good lighting! 

Here's a fourth wip.. got quite a bit to do still... 

http://hadrosaurid.blogspot.co.uk/
  •  02-25-2012, 1:58 PM 375216 in reply to 375187

@ HansNomad: It's kinda like you mixed the wall button thing from prince of ersia 2009 with, 
    the prince of persia warrior within character design. also cropping this to a portrait frame would make the composition more interesting :)

@ Catzombie: Really nice, I like your fluent paint technique. The dragoon and the character are really cool.
    Are you going to color this?

@ Claude Crow: cool concept, try not to loose focus on where to direct the viewers eye, because right now it's all over the place.

@ Samthespoiler: cool composotion and character, Right now I feel like her arm si still a bit too long. where is she pointing at/ reaching for?

@ Aocdb: Great progress, I like where this character is going. Maybe somme goggles and some changes on her mouth would be good.

@ Segujo: You've mad eone of the coolest interpretation of a farseer. I like the environment with the wizard and dragon looking into the globe.
    Make change the composition by cutting away some parts so the viewer is closer to this.
    a portrait view even clip some part of the dragon's wing on the left.

@ Ivan Garcia: Really nice, things are moving around in your piece which makes it very interesting.

@ A curious Twitch: Like the concept, would like to see where this is going. :) Is he going to eb in some sort of thinking tank?
    what heppend to the cute kitty?

@ Mercury cat: Really cool! A native american inhaling herbs! Kinda spooky too.
    Perhaps include his legs in the canvas as well.

@ Adventuregoat: Really like your concept, Would love to see the end resuld. You really thought of composotion and anatomy.

@ Domtopia: Love how your work turned out. I would have included her feet and the thing shé sitting on in the frame as well. but I sure like the concept and details.

@ JaKu13: Hey you also thought of covering up the eys. I like to see where this is going, she looks ver futuristic but her vision from way back.
    Also kepe in mind to create an intersting composotion and direct things to places where you want the viewers eyes to dwell on.

@ Disco Matt: water monkeys building a water woman, really cool! very original :) I liked your earlier design too.

@ Smolin: love the sketch! The characters and the composotion, can't wait to see the end result.

@ Gnuchi: Great portrait and colors, love where this is going.

@ Tanjaraus: nice and freaky!! great dynamic pose too. Much better that your earlier design.

@ Bergu68: Cool seamonsters! I live how you direct the viewers eyes with your composition.

@ Midscrawl: Cool design, more wips plss!!

@ Guang: Very cool! The background is a bit dark though. cropping the image to a narrower portrait would do this image more justice.

Hope to have given you guys some useful feedback and good luck!

http://helmighs.deviantart.com
  •  02-25-2012, 5:20 PM 375223 in reply to 375216

You are a gentleman and a scholar Helmigh! It must have taken ages to write that last post out.

Your feedback was awesome and gratefully received! You were the first person to put up work after I put mine up in the finals thread.... and I immediately thought.... oh dear, I'm not gonna win this!!! Ha! I hope you do well my friend, your work is great, clear and bold. And more importantly.... interesting!! (something my work often lacks!)

All the best!

If quizzes are quizzical, then what are tests?...
  •  02-25-2012, 6:42 PM 375226 in reply to 375173

Attachment: WIP04.png
    I got the sky under control and worked for a while on the face.  The stone wall and armor are still rough and need work.  Getting close to the end of the month . . .

•  02-25-2012, 8:09 PM 375234 in reply to 375226

Attachment: fs10.jpg
    Wip 2... Not sure about the 'optical device' he's carrying, looks more like a raygun at the moment:)
  •  02-25-2012, 8:16 PM 375235 in reply to 375226

How do you do Mr. Nomad! This piece is working out really well! The face is exellent, the work and the detail you are applying are really working. The only thing that I could mention by way of critisism is the forshortened left arm. Somehow it just doesn't seem to sit right with me... Maybe by lifting the left shoulder a little so that the viewer can see the whole arm would help? It may just be me, so I will leave it in your safe hands as to what to do. Once again, a very promising piece of work and I eagerly await it's completion!
    If quizzes are quizzical, then what are tests?...
  •  02-25-2012, 8:50 PM 375237 in reply to 373412

I agree with Domtopia... thanks for the feedback and the time you must have put into it Helmighs!! I will of course try your suggestions! 

HansNomad: Cool expression! You can tell his vision is like turned inwards and far away! And the sky is beautiful! I agree with Dom... there is still a tiny thing about the left arms that I can not put my finger on... Maybe it's in the placement of the elbow? The upper arm should be more shortened than the forearm...? I imagine he has the arm slightly bent?

I also like your brush-work-style, specially in the rough/lose parts. What software and tools do you use? If this one goes where I believe it will go I'm gonna put your WIP:s in a row to study them! :)

Catz: I love the style of your piece. So smooth and harmonic! Perhaps there is too much action in a too small area of it...? You could maybe try to crop some on the right and the bottom...?

Helmighs: I think you have a really good lighting and atmosphere. I'm generally not very fond of the spiky style but that's just a matter of personal taste. I also think you are right to diminish the palett colors to.

midscrawl: I'm stunned! :) The only thing I can say is that the secondary characters seems a little cut into the piece. But I guess this will be solved. Maybe it's a lighting issue? A little more primary light from the sky? Anyway... this one is truly awesome! Both the environment and the characters!

•  02-25-2012, 11:38 PM 375244 in reply to 373412

starting this a bit late. everyone's doing really cool stuff! 

•  02-26-2012, 12:43 AM 375246 in reply to 375244

Attachment: sbfi.png
    wip2
  •  02-26-2012, 2:05 AM 375250 in reply to 375234

Midscrawl:
    Wip 2... Not sure about the 'optical device' he's carrying, looks more like a raygun at the moment:)

True, but I think it still works regardless.  It just makes the viewer work a little bit.  When I figured out what it was, I was thoroughly delighted!  Too cool.  I suppose you could remove the handle, and have him grasping it like a flashlight, but I can really picture him inserting it in his eye socket "as is".  It's cool and creepy.

BTW-  Way to kick things up a notch in here with your piece!  Looking really good. 

Helmighs, thanks for the feedback and all the time you took to comment on everybody. 

DA Gallery
  •  02-26-2012, 3:21 AM 375253 in reply to 375246

Attachment: itek.png
    wow was havin brain seizure or somethin earlier. fixed up some stuff..having a lot of fun with this one!
  •  02-26-2012, 5:24 AM 375255 in reply to 375253

Attachment: Farseer_rev10.jpg
    Lookin' really good, peeps. Just posting a WiP up for now. More comments later!

Nick Avallone
    AngryFungus Art Blog | Sketchbook
Page 8 of 12 (174 items)   « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML