Upload your portfolio today. Register here

MYFX Weekly Challenge #233 - The Graeae - WIPs

Last post 06-22-2011, 10:25 PM by Peter.Arata. 41 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (42 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-19-2011, 11:04 PM 350941 in reply to 350938

Re: MYFX Weekly Challenge #233 - The Graeae - WIPs

gah i wish in the replies on this you could still see old posts below, like on CA.org, so that you can remember peoples names...

anyways, these all look great!

Gabriela - great start! love the scene so far! -but i agree with whoever said that they all have eyes, when theoretically they shouldnt.

Sapirlipad - nice start!! hell yea! get into it!

maria something - o my god, sorry i cant remember your name, .. great start to yours too!! i like how the scene is shaping!

bergy - great lines man! looking forward to the finish!

------------

heres some more progress on mine... still a wip

•  06-19-2011, 11:12 PM 350943 in reply to 350941

nickybeats:

gah i wish in the replies on this you could still see old posts below, like on CA.org, so that you can remember peoples names...

anyways, these all look great!

Gabriela - great start! love the scene so far! -but i agree with whoever said that they all have eyes, when theoretically they shouldnt.

Sapirlipad - nice start!! hell yea! get into it!

maria something - o my god, sorry i cant remember your name, .. great start to yours too!! i like how the scene is shaping!

bergy - great lines man! looking forward to the finish!

------------

heres some more progress on mine... still a wip

Thank you :)

Im Sapir Lapid and you wrote "Lipad"..(never mind ^^").

I think your painting is the most amazing so far...waiting to see the final result. 

•  06-20-2011, 12:12 AM 350948 in reply to 350943

Attachment: 3 witches copy2.jpg

Didn't think I was going have a crack at this one but then I sat down and started to sketch and I couldn't draw anything else but 3 women and 1 eye...go figure lol

wip1

•  06-20-2011, 1:03 AM 350949 in reply to 350533

Attachment: Graeae_sketch.jpg
    Maybe I'll get in on this. Sketched this out while enjoying a peaceful time on the front porch this afternoon (not from life, of course).

Nick Avallone
    AngryFungus Art Blog | Sketchbook
  •  06-20-2011, 1:06 AM 350950 in reply to 350948

Thanks Nicky, Lovin your colors.

Gabriella, Lovin your lighting and colors too.

Dam I wish I could remember everyones names as well...but, good start everybody.

Heres my second wip adding in tones

My Sketchbook

http://community.imaginefx.com/forums/1/415474/ShowThread.aspx

" An idea is a point of departure and no more. As soon as you elaborate it, it becomes transformed by thought. ”
    -Pablo Picasso
  •  06-20-2011, 2:26 AM 350951 in reply to 350950

2nd WIP.  Having a hell of a time with perspective combined with anatomy, etc.  Good for learning, though.  Most likely will not finish.

Everyone's work is very inspiring.  Nicky, great characters.  Smolin, love how they are all connected together, tucked under each other. Bergy, love the steady line work.  I'm enjoying seeing everyone's process.

My Sketchbook
  •  06-20-2011, 8:18 AM 350972 in reply to 350951

Fun that more people decided to take part!

First I can say that you can scroll up against at least along the same page to see others comments. The reply eum, box (?) will follow.

Eveswater, I think that the strength in your piece is the action . But if I may give some crit I would say the arms are to thin/small, even for old ladies .

Bergy68- I like the composition and idea

Smolin- Like the caracters and I love how you convey (?) the feeling that they depend on eachother and their understanding of their relationship.

Disco Matt- Ha ha! (is laughter univeral in writing?) This was unexpected and fun, like!

Nickybeats- great caracter and personalities here. If I may critique I think the hands would look better if they were more defined and 3D.

Gabriella- love your light and colors!

http://mariasahlberg.com
    Kamapesa
  •  06-20-2011, 10:33 AM 350975 in reply to 350972

Attachment: Graeae_wip1.jpg

I wasn't sure I'd manage to finish this but since I've come farther than I thought, here are my wips...

WIP 1

www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  06-20-2011, 10:35 AM 350976 in reply to 350975

Attachment: Graeae_wip2.jpg
    WIP 2 (lost the colour because it seemed easier to paint "the grey" in actual grey...)

www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  06-20-2011, 10:36 AM 350977 in reply to 350976

Attachment: Graeae_wip3.jpg

And WIP 3 (where I'm currently at)

The old crones are more or less done (except colour). The background is looking dreadful, and I haven't decided whether I should have a day scene as originally planned, or a night scene or whether I should maybe just crop away that terrible tree... :P

www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  06-20-2011, 6:05 PM 351018 in reply to 350977

Attachment: Graeae_rev04.jpg

Some good looking entries this week (hideous subject notwithstanding.)

DiscoMatt - I love the modern take and the confrontational composition. And the characters are oozing personality. Very awesome and original.

Gabriella - I like the traditional interpretation you took - very MacBeth. The lighting is excellent, and I imagine it's going to be lovely when finished. (One quibble, though: I count 6 eyeballs in the picture. It looks like the right witch just removed hers.)

NickyBeats -  Great painting. It looks almost finished to me. My one quibble here is that their hoods look identical, and a little stiff on the back two.

Bergy & EveSweater - You guys both have great action going on. Bergy, I'd try to differentiate between the three sisters a bit. It's a little confusing in that it can be read as a three-stage action shot. Eve, the struggle between the figures is great. Looking forward to seeing it developed more.

MariaSahlberg - I like the mood you've achieved. Keep refining the forms you've created!

SapirLapid - You need to work on the composition a lot more so that the figures relate to each other.

Voluspa - Beautiful and classic storybook style there. I love their expressions & the quietness of the piece.

Here's my latest. I got into some color flatting last night, trying to establish a color scheme and mood. I also changed some of the positioning and stuff. I think the rhythm is better now.

Nick Avallone
  •  06-20-2011, 6:30 PM 351020 in reply to 351018

Smolin:

Some good looking entries this week (hideous subject notwithstanding.)

DiscoMatt - I love the modern take and the confrontational composition. And the characters are oozing personality. Very awesome and original.

Gabriella - I like the traditional interpretation you took - very MacBeth. The lighting is excellent, and I imagine it's going to be lovely when finished. (One quibble, though: I count 6 eyeballs in the picture. It looks like the right witch just removed hers.)

NickyBeats -  Great painting. It looks almost finished to me. My one quibble here is that their hoods look identical, and a little stiff on the back two.

Bergy & EveSweater - You guys both have great action going on. Bergy, I'd try to differentiate between the three sisters a bit. It's a little confusing in that it can be read as a three-stage action shot. Eve, the struggle between the figures is great. Looking forward to seeing it developed more.

MariaSahlberg - I like the mood you've achieved. Keep refining the forms you've created!

SapirLapid - You need to work on the composition a lot more so that the figures relate to each other.

Voluspa - Beautiful and classic storybook style there. I love their expressions & the quietness of the piece.

Here's my latest. I got into some color flatting last night, trying to establish a color scheme and mood. I also changed some of the positioning and stuff. I think the rhythm is better now.

I'm really bad with sketching. I think I'll delete my sketch and start a new one (But maybe I don't have time)... 

•  06-20-2011, 9:26 PM 351064 in reply to 351020

Attachment: TheGraeae#233wip3.jpg

Thanks for the critique! Smolin, just saw what you write, and that is mostly what I've tried to do. Still havent decided if they should cover themself in some matter. And I tried to make them more both beautiful in soe matter and more classic old, dont know if I will take it any further thou..

Smolin, just love your piece! Even if its not finishedI so much enjoy looking at it.Simple and full of personality and expression.. 

Kamapesa
  •  06-20-2011, 9:33 PM 351067 in reply to 350977

Voluspa: I really like the ladies, think they're great with the different feelings they still form a unit somehow. Must say thou that I wondered about the tree. Cant see any specifik reason for it to be there, and because its just one you want to read something special into it. Its a little confusing and takes to much from the ladies I think.
    Kamapesa
  •  06-21-2011, 3:20 AM 351094 in reply to 351067

mariasahlberg.com:
    Voluspa: I really like the ladies, think they're great with the different feelings they still form a unit somehow. Must say thou that I wondered about the tree. Cant see any specifik reason for it to be there, and because its just one you want to read something special into it. Its a little confusing and takes to much from the ladies I think.

I think Maria is on to something there, Voluspa. I just read her comment about the tree and it started me thinking. I'd suggest putting a tree on either side of them, in the foreground, but making them heavily stylised, with branches connecting overhead and forming a frame for ladies. That'd really punch up the classic storybook illustration feel you've got going on. Just a thought!

Nick Avallone
Page 2 of 3 (42 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML