Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Need help with my portfolio

Last post 12-12-2012, 2:16 PM by chrisbraun. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-11-2012, 1:41 AM 407375

Need help with my portfolio

I am working on a portfolio piece and could use some advice and critiquing.  I was really inspired by the Demon's Souls and Dark Souls games for this piece.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Filed under:
  •  12-12-2012, 11:38 AM 407399 in reply to 407375

Re: Need help with my portfolio

There's quite a few tangents going on in this.  There is a dark horizontal band going across the sword where the top of his chest plate is.  It looks like its from a texture overlay.  Anyway it lines up almost perfectly with the line of the top of his chest plate so it makes the sword look transparent.  Need to paint out your texture overlays where needed to clean things up, it looks like this same dark band is showing up on his right shoulder a little.  There's another tangent with the right sword guard, the lighting on it stops exactly where the ridge of the chest plate is, again making the sword look transparent.  The left guard is lost, it looks like its the edge of his chest plate rather than the sword guard.  There needs to be more separation of value between the sword guard and the armor.  I know that the armor is turning into shadow but they are blending together too much.  The left guard also looks like it is shorter than the right guard.  Let it overlap the upper arm in the background instead of stopping it at his armpit.

Aside from the tangents, I think the ridge of the chest plate needs to be nudged over to the right a bit.  Right now is isn't following the form of his body or going down his center as it should.  It almost looks like the chest plate is drawn facing us straight-on, even though he is standing at a 3/4 angle.  This may be partly due to the left sword guard causing the chest piece to look different than you intended.  I think even if the sword guard wasn't changing the shape of the armor the center line would still need to be nudged to the right a bit though.  Could probably use a bit more curvature in addition to being nudged over to the right.  The raised hand is probably rotated a bit too much into an uncomfortable position.  The sword hand is gripping the sword too high.  I'd shoot some reference of your own hands.  The sword handle could probably stand to pop out a bit more also.  Its getting a bit lost down there.

•  12-12-2012, 2:16 PM 407402 in reply to 407399

Re: Need help with my portfolio

Thanks for your help!  I better get to work
View as RSS news feed in XML