Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Trying a new style. Some critique appreciated :)

Last post 11-19-2012, 5:30 PM by jimsday46. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-18-2012, 11:07 PM 405963

Trying a new style. Some critique appreciated :)

Attachment: out for a walk.jpg

He guys. This is an image I'm working on. As the title says, some critique appreciated :) Any and all comments welcome. Thanks guys.

Also you can click on the image to view the whole thing. Thanks again.

Trying to be the lion cub but rarely the lion
    Sketchbook http://community.imaginefx.com/forums/thread/395988.aspx
  •  11-18-2012, 11:19 PM 405965 in reply to 405963

Re: Trying a new style. Some critique appreciated :)

There is a lot of things going on, but none of the elements work with each other. Some areas are also confusing to read; for example, one of the feet looks like it has claws dipped in blood, but it took me a while to realized that it is probably a red shoe behind some grass. The reason I did not see it right away is because there is no indication of grass anywhere else, so I really didn't know what could be on that pitch black ground. The spiky things don't look like trees, rocks, or grass, so I'm not sure what they are, either. They could be decorative elements but there in the middle of all that there is a very literal shape of a house, making things even more confusing. The colors don't work, the composition isn't there yet, and there is no clear theme or focus to anything here. Sorry, this is not working for me yet. It might have a psychedelic charm but it needs a little stronger punch to be effective.

Yian 2012
  •  11-19-2012, 1:29 AM 405970 in reply to 405965

Attachment: ae.jpg

Thank you Yian. I defo got a bit carried away. The main thing I wanted was a contrast between the vivid black and vivid colour. But I do see what you mean is about it reading badly. What I want and wanted to be the focal point was her face. So I,ve pulled it back to this point and will work from here. I've also changed the hair to hopefuly pull the focus back to the face. Do let me know if you think this works. Thnaks again.

Edit:  Just wanted to add. The main thing I'm trying to do is find a style I lke to work in. I really like the idea of work with the silhouette against the vivid colour. I'm gonna try and do a few images like this so if you guy know of anyone how works like this and where I could find their work that would be great also. So far I'm just running from scratch.

Thanks.

•  11-19-2012, 8:36 AM 405983 in reply to 405970

I don't feel aquainted enough with this sort of style to give much crit, but now that you removed the grass, perhaps you should try adding in a town silhouette instead? Some more rooftops, though lower than the church you have. Also, if I were you I'd try (and you might already have tried) to just have a flat pattern for the hair? I rather like the flower pattern idea but the way it's "shaded" bugs me a little. With the large flat areas in other parts, maybe you should go for a flat collage type feeling, rather than mixing it with shading and such? But like I said, I'm not at all familiar with working like this myself Stick out tongue
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  11-19-2012, 5:30 PM 406023 in reply to 405983

Thanks voluspa as always for your comments. Very appreciated. I will get to work on it again soon and see if I can wok this out. I see There are some people doing the weekly now so I'll just put this back there and let this post go dead. So thanks again guys.
View as RSS news feed in XML