Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Digital painting - in need of some critiques

Last post 11-21-2012, 7:04 AM by Guang. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-12-2012, 5:45 PM 405356

Digital painting - in need of some critiques

First of all: Hello! This is my very first post to ImagineFX´s forums. I´m 17 and have paintined on and off digitally for some while. Throughout the years I´ve learned that practicing and critiques are the best way to become better at drawing. ImagineFX has truly inspired me to draw more digitally.

This is my newest painting. I´m not completely done with it,therefore I´m posting it here. I would really love some critique on this painting, the harsher the better.  

Thanks for dropping by :)

•  11-16-2012, 9:18 PM 405784 in reply to 405356

Re: Digital painting - in need of some critiques

Yo, props for having such skill at 17! Very good. Sorry no-one's given any crit yet. Will try and write something helpful soon... :) 
    keithseymourportfolio.com

http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/kisu_shimos_portfolio/default.aspx
  •  11-18-2012, 2:56 AM 405898 in reply to 405356

Looks very good!

Yian 2012
  •  11-20-2012, 11:58 AM 406071 in reply to 405898

Hey

The head and body under it on the right looks like they are just pasted together. The proportion of the head don't fit with the neck and body neither. They don't feel like a whole. It also lacks an backhead.

Make the Impossible possible :)

Need a job to live from :( and art to live for :)
  •  11-20-2012, 12:27 PM 406072 in reply to 406071

astap53:

The proportion of the head don't fit with the neck and body neither. They don't feel like a whole. It also lacks an backhead.

I think you've completely ignored the artistic stylization involved. The entire image has a wavy atmosphere, and I think the distortion works perfectly well. This is clearly a choice done by the artist, not a lack of skill. You are essentially criticizing a caricature for being a caricature.

Yian 2012
  •  11-20-2012, 2:13 PM 406080 in reply to 406072

to be fair to astap53, i also ignored the stylisation, where did it say it is a stylised drawing? i was going to comment that the face needs flipping as it's lopsided!
  •  11-20-2012, 2:29 PM 406082 in reply to 406080

I think the question we should ask is that, is the classical sense of realism really going to help contribute to this piece? The dominant feature of this piece is the vortex and a claustrophobic amount of flowers, which all convey a sense of anxiety. Her face also says that - distorted and being pulled into a vortex along with the hair. Everything is pretty well rendered, the colors are beautiful, and I don't believe that a normal looking head would be right for this painting. Therefore my take is that the distortion was done on purpose simply because it serves the piece so well; it does not say to me "oh gee whiz I struggle to get my head right," but instead it conveys strong emotional quality in unison with the rest of the piece.

Yian 2012
  •  11-20-2012, 3:39 PM 406087 in reply to 406082

that may well be, and it is absolutely beautifully coloured, but as i say, my initial thoughts weren't that it was meant to be wonky just that it was a bit. I think because it 'could' be a normal painting it doesn't instantly look like it shouldn't be.

however we're all just speculating, it's up to the artist to correct us or not :)

either way its beautiful to look at.

•  11-21-2012, 7:04 AM 406127 in reply to 406087

Attachment: Picture 4.png

I think you're doing really well,

I have a few suggestions, use the or don't its your work at the end of the day.

1) I darkened her hair at the bottom to give it more contrast, I feel that curve is important to the whole image.

2) which is why I've also made the neck follow it, I also tilted the image to make more room down there.

3) I felt her face had a little bit too much meat on her left side but if you're going for something more distorted then don't worry about this.

4) I flipped the other character, I felt like I wanted to see what she was facing and now it also goes with the flow of the curve.

Lastly if you want more depth to your work try using a few more values. Hope thats useful and good luck.

Here's my work http://guang2222.deviantart.com/
    juanphotoshop@yahoo.co.uk
View as RSS news feed in XML