Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Anjeanette Joan d'Arc Painting

Last post 11-22-2012, 11:51 PM by anjeanette illustration. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-16-2012, 9:04 PM 405782

Anjeanette Joan d'Arc Painting

This is a commissioned piece by a friend- I especially don't want to disappoint! Critique welcomed-

something is...not quite right yet? Needs a fresh pair of eyes

http://www.wix.com/anjeanette/illios
  •  11-16-2012, 9:25 PM 405785 in reply to 405782

Re: Anjeanette Joan d'Arc Painting

You've got an interesting style, but there are a few things I react on, most specifically the head. The head looks like it's on backwards, because you've drawn it and the neck as if seen from the front, not as if she's turning her head. I also think the legs look like they might be different lengths though a certain exaggeration seems to be part of your style so it might be intentional. I also think the visible shoulderblades look strange (even allowing for the strange armour design I think the shoulderblades would be further apart). Hope that helps you and doesn't give you too much of a headache Stick out tongue
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  11-16-2012, 10:15 PM 405788 in reply to 405782

The shoulder armour isn't helping either! Her arm looks really funky, as though it is twisted in the socket. I agree with Voluspa too in that the shoulder blades are too high and too close together. You could try to alter that first.

The colour selection and high saturation look good to me. So I see there is a lot of style and potential in your work, but there are a few things that need to be worked on first. If you want help with this, you could post it up in the WIP thread and let the forumites help you with some other suggestions.

Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!
  •  11-17-2012, 11:39 PM 405890 in reply to 405782

Awesome suggestions- thank you! I am reworking the shoulder/arm/socket and face angles right now. Already has helped a lot. Going to have to from scratch repaint the arm and its oh so funky Armour haha( its based on a recent couture runway style by Dior- my friends favorite- not any sort of real or practical armour), but I am selecting and edit>distorting and filter>liquidfy the face to get a better angle.

While I am not looking for photo realism in my paintings something felt way off, and after many hours getting emotionally attached to this I couldn't see what was off but things were NOT adding up- again thanks :) I sometimes use photos for ref, but do not care to 'paint over' personally, I sketch right now on paper with charcoal pencil, and them import and paint digitally. Often the initial sketch does not look like the end result but its just where I am comfortable starting..

Yes, there is def a large amount of stylized wouldn't work in real life going on in here- lots af symbolism took :)

And I think the reason the legs look like one would be longer is the dutch angle- I am a photographer who loves that gimicky 

angle to add sense of movement... I had been sketching this straight up and down and then turned the whole sketch sideways and painted it

angled.

And, yes I do love those saturated colors haha!

Say, which thread should I use in the future for WIP needing critique? The feedback is so valuable to me.. but I am not very savvy about online forum etiquette haha

•  11-18-2012, 2:53 AM 405897 in reply to 405890

I personal don't have any problem with the anatomy and stuff, because my first immediate reaction to this piece was that, yes, a lot of stylization took place and it is not shooting for complete realism. However, I do sense two issues that might need a bit of your attention: balance and consistency.

The overall balance currently is a bit weird because of the short flag pole stopping right at her leg. This makes her look unbalanced because the way she is posing suggest that her weight should be supported by whatever she is holding in her hand, so pretty much she is poking her body weight into her leg. As for consistency, I think your hand and armor has more defined structure and rendering than her face. Her face look a bit too soft and too simplified.

Yian 2012
  •  11-18-2012, 9:16 AM 405900 in reply to 405897

Now that Yian pointed it out I have to agree with the pole looking strange when it ends where it does. Should be an easy fix though.

As for the legs they do look different but I like the effect, so if it's on purpose you should definately keep it that way. Smile

Here's the wip section http://community.imaginefx.com/forums/7/ShowForum.aspx

(Though to be honest a piece gets at least as much crit in the finished section, it's just that you always end up realising the piece wasn't finished at all Stick out tongue)

www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  11-22-2012, 11:51 PM 406307 in reply to 405782

Thank you DOm, Voluspa and Yiam! Great input-

View as RSS news feed in XML