Upload your portfolio today. Register here

New painting

Last post 11-17-2012, 6:18 PM by sugar. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-15-2012, 8:05 PM 405655

New painting

Attachment: Woodsman Final.jpg

Character piece for an author

Trying for a sun dappled shading, getting ready to start that next

Any feedback is appreciated 

"There is no try, just do"

http://khamakerart.blogspot.com
  •  11-15-2012, 9:19 PM 405666 in reply to 405655

Re: New painting

It might just be my computer, but I can't seem to see the picture you posted...
    "A picture is a poem without words."
    -Horace

•  11-15-2012, 10:55 PM 405671 in reply to 405666

Dont know either guess this website is broken seems to be happening all the time these days??

•  11-16-2012, 12:34 AM 405678 in reply to 405671

Hm, I've been having issues with Google Chrome and this forum recently, what browser are you using? I found Internet Explorer seems to have no troubles accessing most of the site features.

Also, was the image just a regular .jpg image or something different? 

"A picture is a poem without words."
    -Horace

•  11-16-2012, 3:21 AM 405685 in reply to 405678

Attachment: Woodsman Final.jpg

Dont usually have issues until it start happening on other threads

Try again

nope didnt work here from photobucket

•  11-16-2012, 8:35 AM 405702 in reply to 405685

The site is having issues. It's been reported (again) and I've had a reply saying they're working on finding some permanent solution to this recurring problem with image uploading. My guess is it'll take a while before it's resolved.
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  11-16-2012, 9:26 AM 405706 in reply to 405702

I'm sure they also said they're going to revamp the site in some way, and this was at the start of the year. Of course it wasn't guaranteed, but I hoped maybe something would be done.

As for the image, this is ace Sugar. The colouring is splendid, it almost has a Stanley Lau feel about it, the way it's been coloured. Good job!

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  11-16-2012, 10:01 AM 405719 in reply to 405706

This is looking awesome Shug, not least because the pose is really tricky!

I think the leading leg and the tunic look brilliant and the detailing that has already gone in to the image so far is clear and crisp. The bounce and rim lighting in places like the bow hand is really effective and gives these areas real depth too.

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment are the textures. The skin, the fabric, the leather, the hair all have the same texture to them. You will get to it eventually I am sure, but it is something that needs to be kept in mind. Plu, I think there may be just a bit too much green reflecting from his skin. It looks artificially bright, so maybe tone it down a few touches. And lastly, I just can't help but think that this guys face lacks depth. I don't know if it's the high croma of the shadows or a structuaral issue, but it lacks a depth of form. Maybe it's the area around the mouth? Some more muscle definition might help.

Anyhoo, see what you think my friend.  Looking forward to seeing this one get finished off.

P.S. Sorry about my spelling!!

Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!
  •  11-16-2012, 10:29 AM 405723 in reply to 405706

Sudafreekan - Actually they said they wanted a revamp, not that we'd get one. I think the problems we are experiencing is one reason the IFX team would also like a revamp of the forum, but I think that it's kind of totally different fixes (they're working on fixing the current problems and they're working on getting another forum, but the former is a tech issue and the latter a money issue... I think...)
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  11-16-2012, 10:33 AM 405724 in reply to 405719

OMG I was thinking the exact same thing Dom!The face just seems to lack the realism that the rest of the piece has, like it looks slightly cartoony at the moment, I think you could add some realism to this and make it really pop! Check the eyes for example there's not really much depth there.

@ Voluspa - Oh okay I get you, I mean I love the forum, it has a nice cosy feeling to it, but when you look at forums like CA it seems a little dated. Obviously it would cost a lot of money to make big changes, so yeah the posting issues should be a priority.

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  11-17-2012, 6:18 PM 405864 in reply to 405724

Thank you all for your feedback, I started to push the face some so it is not so plastic, and i will adress the sameness of all the textures, will post an update soon, I appreciate you taking the time to help!!

View as RSS news feed in XML