Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #18 - The Pope - FINALS

Last post 10-30-2012, 5:01 PM by voluspa. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-28-2012, 11:07 PM 400634

Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #18 - The Pope - FINALS

For those of you who don't know about this, we are going to have a bi-weekly challenge to depict a tarot card from the Major Arcana. This will last approximately a year. At the end of the year we will have the full Major Arcana. Two separate wips and a final image are required for entry. The WIPS must be posted in the WIP thread and links to be posted in the FINAL thread

The final image must be in the form of a card, with the card name and number, not just a painting
    I will give you a brief meaning, but it's probably a good idea to do your own research.

The Pope (Le Pape)/Hierophant
    The Magnus of the Eternal

Card Number: 5
    Key Number: 16
    Rulership: Taurus
    Hebrew Letter: Vau
    Translation: Nail
    Numerical Value: 12

Divinatory meaning

Ritual and routine, religious guidance and authority, education in its formal sense.  A seeker after knowledge and wisdom.  Good sound advice, teaching and constructive counsel.  Marriage, partnerships and morality.

card divination and information with permission (c) Paranormality.com

post your Final in here

WIPS in the WIP thread

This challenge ends midnight Friday 12th October- we will then vote for the winning card, and then on to the next one
  •  10-12-2012, 9:02 PM 401902 in reply to 400634

Re: Tarot Bi-Weekly Challenge #18 - The Pope - FINALS

Attachment: hiƩrofinal.jpg

here goes the final of the tai-chi elf guy, gl to all!

wips 1-3wip 4

(should really break up my first wips next time, wip4 is pretty much the final version....)

•  10-12-2012, 9:33 PM 401904 in reply to 401902

•  10-12-2012, 11:50 PM 401908 in reply to 400634

•  10-13-2012, 9:06 AM 401920 in reply to 401908

You made it! :D

1. Heimdayel - I really wasn't only giving you compliments when I said you should send this in to Wizards.

2. Mercurycat - glad to have you back on the bandwagon! I'm a big fan of your robes and your background. And that hand is gorgeous. Definitely keep up the work, I like seeing you improve :)

Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  10-13-2012, 12:24 PM 401927 in reply to 401920

I almost didin't vote this time because I found it so hard to decide in which order to vote for you guys. Each card has plusses and minuses...

1) Komu, I think it has a good ´"strict character" feeling, but it lost a little from the fluidity of the sketch. Also his neck (upper part from ear down to armor) looks odd, too wide I think)

2) Heimdayel, I think it's an absolutely beautiful card, as always, but don't feel that it's very "popish" to be honest. It might just be me but I'm more inclined to interpret this colourful acrobatic character as a jester...

3) Mercury, definetly the most "popish" (er maybe I should spell that pope-ish since it has nothing to do with pop...) character. I like the composition and the use of medieval architecture but it doesn't quite have the same, I dunno... "pop" (not pope) as the other two. His head looks slightly too big for his body, as well.

www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  10-13-2012, 3:11 PM 401935 in reply to 400634

komu - nothing wrong with pallies, still very much pious and it totally works for your painting; lovely rendering and colour scheme (orange and blue always works well as some thread here will attest :P) agree with Voluspa on the neck part, should be as wide as the jaw unless im mistaken
    reminds me of your Sun card with this close up of the character's face

mercury - didn't pose your pope with the traditional hand gesture, yet clearly he's blessing someone - nice framing with the cathedral door, gives him the look of a living statue in an alcove you'd find inside the church; nice touch to have the astrological symbol engraved in his staff and that skin rendering is awesome, illustrates his age well

..sooo technically the thread hasn't been officially closed, but grats on your win for Justice komu! awesomely painted card - gotta try to get these elf guys seen by mr. Schindehette :) (hopefully spelt right)
  •  10-13-2012, 4:15 PM 401938 in reply to 401935

Thanks for the crits, I know my anatomy is a little shoddy - lack of practice and knowledge (it's why I rarely crit on people pics). If I had more time I would definitely have sorted out the size of his head (it's a common failing of mine). Glad you liked the skin tone - worked hard on that.

1 Komugurakingdom - Like the serene expression and the hand is great. Best fit for the card description as well.

2 heimdayel - Also great picture - love your elvish tarot set. colours and stance are great. Not so convinced he fits 'The Pope' more of a mischievous monk to me, but I still like it.

It was so hard to choose between you two (as always). 

•  10-17-2012, 6:52 AM 402182 in reply to 401938

I think technically the voting is over. So; thanks Heimdayel. And, good job all. On to the next one!

What will be the next theme?

Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  10-17-2012, 2:24 PM 402200 in reply to 402182

Actually I think we said last time that the voting would be extended to a week in the hope that more people would see the thread and vote, so... No I don't think the voting is over. If the voting began the 13th I think it will end on the 20th. Kazky spank me if I'm wrong!  

Now Vote! Vote! Vote!

(Did I vote yet? hmmm... oh yes, I did!)

www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  10-17-2012, 3:20 PM 402209 in reply to 402200

nope, no spanking, you are quite right and i thought i'd put it in here?! i know i put it somewhere!!!
  •  10-17-2012, 3:44 PM 402213 in reply to 402209

Ack! I must have missed that! All the better though, one week should get some more votes.
    Personal art website
    Facebook page
  •  10-29-2012, 11:49 AM 403803 in reply to 402213

sadly, no new voters with the extension...on the bright side, grats komu!

..and um, which card  is next? itching to draw some more elves :P

•  10-29-2012, 12:19 PM 403808 in reply to 403803

oh god i keep forgetting to do this! guys i'm so sorry, i'll get a new thread up and close this one off later, the next card will be Strength, so feel free to begin your sketches :)
  •  10-30-2012, 6:45 AM 403887 in reply to 403808

Yes! I've been checking the threads every day, thanks for the next card!

Heimdayel, thanks :) (and for the reminder, too)

Personal art website
    Facebook page
Page 1 of 2 (19 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML