Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Drews WIP Thread

Last post 04-25-2013, 1:52 PM by em.... 88 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (89 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-21-2012, 1:36 AM 381792

Drews WIP Thread

The time has come!

Ha, should have made one of these ages ago!

Here's an image I'm working just now, thoughts?

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  04-21-2012, 12:06 PM 381835 in reply to 381792

Re: Drews WIP Thread

All lookin good mate, 
    There are 2 things that stand out to me,
    I dont think you would see as much if any of ear on his right hand side, with the angle of his face.
    The only the other thing I thought but not really getting in the way of making this believable is that his lips look a tad feminine to me, just sayin :P
  •  04-21-2012, 2:13 PM 381841 in reply to 381835

Haha thanks, yeah you're right maybe the ear shouldn't be out so much

And totally, I'm still working on the lips, not really something I'm too pro at, so I've been trying to get them right...quite difficult. Been looking at tutorials and stuff, I will become a lip master :D

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  04-24-2012, 12:12 AM 382625 in reply to 381841

•  04-24-2012, 1:34 AM 382629 in reply to 382625

Trying to colour, but doing more harm than good, ugh...maybe should go back to cel, this is hard >_<

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  04-24-2012, 2:08 AM 382630 in reply to 382629

Tried using lighter colours, added some green...just cause. I feel like I'm cheating though somehow :O

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  04-24-2012, 10:11 PM 382705 in reply to 382630

Hey Drew!

Nice drawing, but it could do with a couple of tweaks in my opinion. Take a look and see what you think.

Because the neck is so thick the back of his head is too large in an attempt to accommodate it. If you reduced them both down a bit I think this piece would make more anatomical sense and it would show you where to move the ear, which looks oddly placed to me ( I think it's too far back again). 

The line work is lovely, but at the moment, his facial features look cramped and too centralised. Plus, at this angle we would not see such a large space between his eye and his temple, as is the case on the left hand side of this drawing. Nor would we see the ear on that side of the head. I think if you lowered his mouth you may find that his chin is also a bit big. These are just little tweaks that will change the face a fair bit, but they will make more anatomical sense.

Hope this helps.

Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!
  •  04-27-2012, 3:15 AM 383193 in reply to 382705

Thanks! I've been working on it tonight, just patching up the linework as you said...there was definitely something bugging me about his right side, you've made me realise thing I didn't see, so thanks a bunch! What do you think about the colour? I'll keep working on that one, meanwhile here's something I drew in the last 5 minutes...mysterious hooded girl? Hahaha, #SoRandom

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  04-27-2012, 8:34 PM 383382 in reply to 383193

It's a pretty interesting design Drew. You have a good line art style and I think this could be real strength you could develop and explore. It's definitely an area you are effective in. The eyes are very large though at the moment, which makes her look a bit weird!

Practice from reference and try to nail the anatomy of a face. That is the area that needs the greatest attention I think. In my opinion I would say that you are quite close, but it needs tweaking a little.

As to the colour of your previous painting I will give you a tip that I use in my paintings and that is to search on the internet for 'skin tones' and what you will find (hopefully) will be lots of images of faces, makeup and skin colour charts. I just pick a skin colour chart, copy it and colour pick from it, starting from dark to light and build it up in airbrushed layers. I do that untill I like the general form and then switch to a hard brush and detail in anything that may effect the skin, such as tendons, muscles, fat and so on. You can find colour charts for any skin type you can think of, so you have loads of options. At the moment the skin tones that have been used in the last painting are very pale and kind of jaundice. I would chose a redder pallete myself. But, take a look at some skin charts and you will soon develop an eye for good skin tones.

Hope that helps!

•  04-27-2012, 9:25 PM 383390 in reply to 383193

I think the hair should end higher, it's like the head is too flat (on your second drawing).

About the first painting color, I read somewhere in the magazine that the skin is most of the time darker than you think... and in your painting it's yellow..

•  04-27-2012, 11:12 PM 383408 in reply to 383382

@Dom -Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely my strongest attribute I'd say...And with the eyes, I was actually going for a sort of asian/manga kind of vibe with this, not for any reason mind you, but it just ended up in that direction, ha! I will tweak the face though yeah, and I do need to adjust my placement and features, on it! :D

Also thanks for the tips about the colouring, the reasons I'm using these yellow-y colours is because the original character from the game has a similar kind of tone, I'm trying really hard to get it the way I want. I'm definitely going to try out the method you suggested. I'm wondering though is it a problem that I'm mixing realistic painting with not so realistic drawing? Or am I under an illusion here, hehe.

@Sar - Yeah, the hair does need some adjusting, thanks. Oh and the face is yellow because...well because HE'S GOING TO BE A NEW MEMBER OF THE SIMPSONS!

Oops wasn't meant to say anything about that!

Haha no the original character has a sort of creamy/beige skin tone so I'm finding it quite difficult to get right, I'm pretty limp at colour scheming takes me a while to get to the end, I was just trying to make his face look like it had some shape, the colour still needs sorted.

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  04-27-2012, 11:58 PM 383426 in reply to 383408

Update to...Mysterious hooded girl done at 3am last night!

In this update - Adjusted the eyes a little, made them smaller

- Edited the hair at the top

- Changed the mouth 

- Cropped the image like a boss

- Added a cool little necklace thing because...AH WANTED TAE, RIGHT!? :D

Whats probably going to happen now is I'm going to ruin this when attempting colour...curse my young unpolished skills! *shakes fist*

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  04-28-2012, 12:27 AM 383429 in reply to 383426

Lovely line work!

Like I said, just get a skin toone colour chart off the interweb and pick from that. Then just paint in layers, starting from dark and building up the highlights as you work through the colour chart. Give it shot!

•  04-28-2012, 1:23 AM 383445 in reply to 383429

Okay, colour update, how's it looking >_<

My Sketchbook thread:
  •  04-28-2012, 1:30 AM 383447 in reply to 383445

Tried softening the lines a little, never felt so hopeless, haha -_-

My Sketchbook thread:
Page 1 of 6 (89 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML