Upload your portfolio today. Register here

New painting

Last post 10-07-2012, 2:18 AM by Digital Dave. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-29-2012, 8:28 AM 400658

New painting

Attachment: Female Assasin.jpg

Just getting things laid out, thought I would put up for any feedback.

I will be detailing/altering the blocks down the road, so as not to look so dropped in, not sure about the mask may revise and gotta finish outfit may change some.

"There is no try, just do"

http://khamakerart.blogspot.com
  •  09-29-2012, 2:12 PM 400699 in reply to 400658

Re: New painting

Looking good so far. Only issue I have right now is with the supporting hand - maybe it's just me but it doesn't actually look like it's providing support for her body at this stage. Is she propping herself up on a fist?

IFX Sketchbook | Portfolio | Tumblr
  •  09-29-2012, 3:24 PM 400702 in reply to 400699

I think you need to lose a lot of detail from the brick wall...it takes up half the image and detracts from the character in the foreground.

Sketchbook. - I love constructive criticism.
    Blog.
    dA.
  •  09-30-2012, 1:45 AM 400719 in reply to 400702

Thank you both for your feedback,

The hand I havnt got to but as far as the balance I am imagining it as balanced between the legs and that hand but I will try to make it feel comfortable when I get to the hand

I will definitely be knocking the wall details back when I get there.

update 

•  10-01-2012, 9:51 PM 400867 in reply to 400719

Update

Still gotta bunch to do, any suggestions are appreciated 

•  10-02-2012, 5:50 PM 400919 in reply to 400867

It's looking really good so far, but I think her breasts may be too high. I recently ran into something similar (an anatomy issue, not a pair of breasts. Running into a pair of breasts would have been OK, though.)

Anyway, the height of her shoulders indicates that we are looking down into her torso, like looking down into a barrel at a 3/4 angle. So by that reckoning I'd think the base of her throat -- where it joins the clavicles -- would be around where her breasts begin now.

The other thing is that her thighs seem very thick, thicker than her waist.

It's such a difficult pose and angle! But despite these little things, it's coming along great.

Nick Avallone
    AngryFungus Art Blog | Sketchbook
  •  10-02-2012, 9:18 PM 400948 in reply to 400919

Agree, it's coming along quite nicely. The thing between the two statues looks a but odd to me, but know you're still working on it.

Also, my modem might be acting up some as of late, I'm not sure? But with your pics being so large, it's taking quite a while for this thread to load up for me. 

My Sketchbook ... My Gallery
  •  10-03-2012, 5:46 AM 400969 in reply to 400948

Thank you both for the feedback, Dave- I finished the fabric, anfd I dont know its only 300ppi? Smolin- thank you I lowered the breast, put her thighs thru the thigh master and also pulled that knee back as well,

About there

•  10-03-2012, 8:11 AM 400972 in reply to 400969

Sugar, usually we post smaller wips than the working size of the "original" just because large images slow people down. One image may "only" be 3 Mb and 3000*2500 pixels but when such images are posted maybe 5-10 times in a thread page, it can really slow things down for some users. It's recommended you save wip copies for web, at 72 (or 96) ppi and max 1000 px wide. I think there's something about "preferably below 500kb" in some advice somewhere, as well. Admittedly a lot of detail will be more or less invisble that way, and it might make it harder to comment on such things, but usually things like composition, light, anatomy are more important to get feedback on anyway, and those things all come through at smaller sizes. So, basically, it might be an idea to save your wips smaller. (Just don't accidentally save your original work file small! Surprise)
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
  •  10-03-2012, 8:29 AM 400973 in reply to 400972

Jesus Christ these WIPs are huge. I don't even post my finished work here at this size.

Yian 2012
  •  10-03-2012, 6:51 PM 401050 in reply to 400973

Thanks for the info Voluspa, I get it yeah I will do that from now on I didnt know., and thanks for the feedback Yian!

•  10-05-2012, 5:49 AM 401206 in reply to 401050

Female assasin, take 2

Little communication breakdown with the client, they wanted something with a little more of an eastern/turk feel, wasn't in brief, but i should have sent them a wip, besides the initial sketch concept, a little sooner.

So here is new version.

Any feedback with where I am at, is appreciated.

I hope I saved this jpeg smaller? Made the quality low when saved in ps5, hope thats better, let me know. 

•  10-05-2012, 12:31 PM 401230 in reply to 401206

Shame you had to change it up so much, but have to say, I'm like this new one even more. Has a very nice feel to it. ... As far as the size, it is loading up better then before, but take a look at the image size itself. Right now, it's showing to be 3,122px × 2,557px, which is still quite large. When I save an image for posting I don't fool with the resolution itself, but simply reduce the size of the image itself, trying to keep it around 1000 px wide, and don't think it would hurt if you even went around 1200. ... Looking forward to seeing this one worked up. 

•  10-05-2012, 8:13 PM 401251 in reply to 401206

I like this one even more! It's a very cool and more unusual character design, and I like the pose better too. Some bounce light in the shadows would help clarify a bit, but it looks fantastic.

As for size, I always use "Save For Web" option in PS. That way I can't accidentally resize my working image. In the Save for Web option screen, I set the dimensions to whatever I want, typically around 600 to 800 pixels on a side. 

Nick Avallone
    AngryFungus Art Blog | Sketchbook
  •  10-05-2012, 10:26 PM 401257 in reply to 401251

Smolin:
    As for size, I always use "Save For Web" option in PS. That way I can't accidentally resize my working image. In the Save for Web option screen,

I was going to recommend the 'Save for Web & Devices' too. I really liked using it, and it made it very easy to save the file any size you wanted. But I actually had to stop using it a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's just a setting somewhere, but I noticed that my pics were being saved darker whenever I used it? Can't tell ya how much I fooled with it trying to get it to work properly, but never found out what was causing it to happen? Seems to be more apparent with Greyscale pics too? ... now I have to do a screenshot and then crop the picture out, since save as JPEG does the same, but just not as bad.

If you ever do a side-by-side comparison with an original & the save for web/devise file, I'd be interested to know if it's doing this to others.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML