Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Early BG Concepts For A Game I Am Making

Last post 10-07-2012, 7:58 AM by adventuregoat. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-29-2012, 6:27 AM 400656

Early BG Concepts For A Game I Am Making

So, like many dreamers, the idea making my own game has been crawling around in my head for quite some time.

This thread isn't about how i'm doing it, or what software I am using.  This thread will be my ongoing struggle to tackle hand painted backgrounds/environments for the game.  Starting with "rough concepts" that focus on mood and interesting shapes.

The game's target platform will be the ipad, with mac & pc versions to follow.

This will be a 2D side scrolling adventure, puzzle game, with a bit of platforming.  The emphasis being on "adventure", not a quick, casual, poke, pop & fling to get a high score game.

Yeah, sounds like a pipe-dream, I know, but I already have most of the play mechanics up and running    There's plenty more to resolve, but I am breaking things up, by starting on some of the art assets.

To kick things off, here are some very early concepts for a desert ruin of sorts that will lead to an underground location.  Nothing too exciting yet, but it's a start!

I figure I'll decide on a distinct art direction as I go.  I have a lot to do, and a lot to learn!

DA Gallery
  •  09-29-2012, 7:53 AM 400657 in reply to 400656

Re: Early BG Concepts For My Game

Attachment: Tree_Ruin-web.jpg

Another location and potential art direction.  I may need to (and want to) go more graphic for the sake of file optimization.

DA Gallery
  •  09-29-2012, 8:45 AM 400663 in reply to 400657

Re: Early BG Concepts For My Game

A somewhat abstract underground piece.  Just trying to explore and build a certain vibe.

DA Gallery
  •  09-29-2012, 10:43 AM 400683 in reply to 400656

Re: Early BG Concepts For A Game I Am Making

Hi adventuregoat, your concepts are looking great so far. However, I feel the first three need a little more detailing to keep in line with the last one which is the best of the bunch.

Even though the fourth has the best detail I would alter it a bit, maybe change the colour palette. This is because it too closely resembles to the game Limbo and the indie gaming community would possibly notice this. All the best with the game.

Kelly

•  09-29-2012, 5:01 PM 400707 in reply to 400683

Kelly,

Thanks so much for the feedback!  It's funny, I actually got a little carried away with the underground piece.  I will certainly be returning to the other pieces that have potential.  It's good to keep things simple in the beginning though, and create a good foundation to build off of; focusing on composition and mood early on and then returning with detail later down the road- if a piece is working on a basic design level.  Of course, the more comfortable I get with custom brushes, the quicker I'll be able to suggest textures and such as I go.  :)

I agree there is a danger in using strong silhouettes after Limbo.  This would only be a specific location, not the entire game aesthetic.  So I think it would be safe ;)

Thanks 

AG 

DA Gallery
  •  10-05-2012, 7:06 AM 401207 in reply to 400656

Attachment: forest-wip-6-web.jpg

Another rough piece.  This is a 2D side-scroller, so things need to work accordingly...

Taking note of Kelly's suggestions, I'm experimenting with a few custom brushes to inject some quick detail as I go. 

DA Gallery
  •  10-05-2012, 12:40 PM 401231 in reply to 401207

Coming along nice. Like the color in the latest one.

Hope this doesn't double post, but seems to the site is acting up again today.

My Sketchbook ... My Gallery
  •  10-07-2012, 7:58 AM 401375 in reply to 401231

Thanks Dave!
    DA Gallery
View as RSS news feed in XML