Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Foreshortening

Last post 08-24-2012, 8:02 AM by voluspa. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-12-2011, 4:20 PM 332813

Foreshortening

Hey

As the subject says I need some help with foreshortening. Any advice, websites or anything would help because I have no idea how to do itSad. But please no art websites with naked peopleStick out tongue

Thanks 

•  01-12-2011, 5:26 PM 332823 in reply to 332813

Re: Foreshortening

The general way to do convincing foreshortening is to think of the object in terms of cylinder forms. You know how to draw cylinders at different angles, yes? Notice how they seem to become shorter as your view direction changes. Apply this logic to your drawing, like making your torso or limbs into cylinder forms on your sketch, and you should be able to get them look better.

If you don't feel comfortable looking at naked human body so much then I suggest you practice foreshortening with your arms and fingers. But you need to be a little more specific than "have no idea how to do it." how about you post the image you are working on so we know exactly where you need help with?

Yian 2012
  •  01-13-2011, 9:17 AM 332990 in reply to 332823

I'll try practicing on myself. When I say I have no idea, I literally mean I have no clue. I am a total beginner. I have tried copying a few pictures but I don't understand how some people can get it so perfect. But I am busy applying the cylinder technique.to understand how the body works. I'll keep practicing and maybe I will have something good enough to post.

Thanks for the help.Yes

•  02-15-2011, 9:44 PM 337644 in reply to 332990

In the end practice is the only way. I stuggle with this alot myself but this is what I know.

Foreshortening in a nutshell

Simple it is that objects are bigger the closer they get to you. 

If you draw a fist being thrown at the viewer you will see two things 

(straight on view)

The fist will be big it could make it as big as the characters head although this will give a off cartoony look.

Second we will notice that due to the angle and the increased size where drawing it at it will cover up most of the arm. ( this perferd so you may want to give it a slight angle) none the less it will cover over

third the other side of the body will now need to be smaller because its away from you.

This is a very difficult challenge because it pares up with perspective.

its all a big challenge that what makes it fun and yes in the end all that really matter is you keep practicing with what you know.

I know this is a bad info but I hope it helps in some way. You can easily google search and that will give you better details.    

•  03-04-2011, 4:23 PM 339609 in reply to 337644

If you're a total beginner I would say try practicing drawing not just cylinders but any sort of 3D shape at any sort of angle. What I've learned is you need to study the way the lines are drawn at certain angles when it comes to any object, if you are drawing something curved at an angle the lines can shorten or lengthen if you are drawing something straight its a similar concept, use photo reference to get the best idea because even experienced artists might simply get it wrong sometimes if they don't have their eye in enough.

I've also learned that if you don't quite literally show off your ability to draw angles most people will snub your artwork no matter how well it's drawn :D

•  03-31-2011, 1:30 PM 342329 in reply to 332813

Re: Foreshortening tips

if you try to foreshorted a figure with clothes on..all you'll get is a vague set of baggy bags with hands and feet..sticking out in the anatomically at various points...

try drawing using photo refs of swimmers diving or gymnasts in action  there are various photos on the web... unless wearing swimwear and leotards is against your sensibilities..i would recommend you stick to landscape and flowers...

•  04-09-2011, 7:33 AM 343361 in reply to 342329

kliest:

if you try to foreshorted a figure with clothes on..all you'll get is a vague set of baggy bags with hands and feet..sticking out in the anatomically at various points...

try drawing using photo refs of swimmers diving or gymnasts in action  there are various photos on the web... unless wearing swimwear and leotards is against your sensibilities..i would recommend you stick to landscape and flowers...

huh? 

•  08-24-2012, 6:45 AM 396858 in reply to 343361

Kliest's response may have ended on a tad harsher note than intended. Let's keep in mind that the X3R0 might be in a situation where it is not appropriate for them to study nudes and that there is nothing wrong with that. I don't think an aspiring artist should have to restrict themselves from exploring drawing the human figure because of that, certainly not just have to stick to landscapes and flowers. However, Kliest brings up a great alternative and that is using reference photos of swimmers or gymnasts and stay clear of trying draw people wearing thick/bulky/baggy/loose clothing since it's distorting and will often trick you into drawing bad subjects. That being said, even if X3R0 can't look at images of persons in swimwear or leotards, there's no reason they can't do like I did a lot of figure studies in my youth art and do self portraits and drawings of my off hand and feet. I also used to draw my friends' faces in school or their hands. It's still great practice and doesn't mean a one way ticket to landscape world. In fact, I should go back to doing those at some point...
    WIP Page

Facebook Page
  •  08-24-2012, 8:02 AM 396864 in reply to 396858

A very sensible answer Thomgirl, but the thread is over a year old Wink Not really much point in reviving it, I think...
    www.charlotteahlgren.com
    IFX Gallery
    Elfwood Gallery
View as RSS news feed in XML