Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Tarot Card Challenge - Final entries

Last post 12-18-2011, 10:46 PM by kazky. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-02-2011, 1:29 PM 369103

Tarot Card Challenge - Final entries

ok lets get this party started!

For those of you who don't know about this, we are going to have a bi-weekly challenge to depict a tarot card from the Major Arcana. This will last approximately a year. At the end of the year we will have the full Major Arcana. Two wips and a final are required for entry.

The first card is the Wheel of Fortune. I will give you a brief meaning, but it's probably a good idea to do your own research as there are much richer and indepth meanings to the cards.

The only real stipulation is that The final image must be in the form of a card, not just a painting 

post your WIPS in here

Finals in this thread

Wheel of Fortune (La Roue de Fortune)
    The Lord of the Forces of Life 

Card Number: 10
    Key Number: 21
    Rulership: Jupiter
    Hebrew Letter: Kaph
    Translation: Hand 
    Numerical Value: 9

Divinatory meaning
    Divinatory meaning
    Upright - Effortless success. Good fortune that is unexpected.  Coincidences.  Luck.  The beginning of a new cycle.  Advancement.  Positive upheaval.  Change.  A card of good fortune, the appearance of destiny and Karmic change.

This challenge ends Friday 16th December - we will then vote for the winning card, and then on to the next one!

•  12-09-2011, 9:33 PM 369661 in reply to 369103

Re: Tarot Card Challenge - Final entries

wip 1wip 2wip 3wip 4

"The elves of Nysdrell often represent Ailfinnem and Shinirios circling each other around the Wheel of  Fortune, also known as the wheel of stars - the divine avatars stand for the duality in life, be it the feminine and masculine, good and evil, day and night or good luck and bad luck. As the stars and other celestial bodies hold importance in the star elven culture, the Wheel also bears the lunar cycles at the tip of its eight spokes, interspersed  with elemental sigils and jewels "

Nysdrellian Lore, vol.X

•  12-11-2011, 12:53 AM 369718 in reply to 369103

Sorry Kazky, I'll edit again when (if) it's ready.

Drink, but very carefully...
  •  12-15-2011, 9:45 PM 370168 in reply to 369103

Wip 1  Wip 2

The runes point out that we are not with the Greek gods here. Erratic Fortuna is replaced by the Norse Norns, and in particular Urd, the Norn of fate.

It is wise Urd that holds the teachings of the past, and it is her well that the gods meet at each day. She may teach us that the chaotic explosion of ink, like the seemingly random and unexpected events of life, are to be handled with the help of knowledge and council.

•  12-16-2011, 12:22 AM 370178 in reply to 370168

wip 1, wip 2, wip 3, wip 4

Arianrhod goddess of the silver wheel weaver of  fate

•  12-16-2011, 11:37 PM 370242 in reply to 369103

Mine whew, I don't think I'll be able to manage a full set, anyway the wheel is taken from the Rider-Waite card. I wanted a puppet/wooden carving feel as I fancied puppet strings could be used as a metaphor for unseen forces. As usual my time management cut down my design choices.

•  12-17-2011, 12:23 AM 370247 in reply to 370242

phew just in the nick of time bob!

ok entry time has passed please vote for your favourite 1st, 2nd & 3rd from the entries below.

Conscious Bob

wyldmajik

a_curious_twitch

heimdayel

and in 24 hours time, i will reveal the winner

•  12-17-2011, 3:53 AM 370255 in reply to 370247

wow i honestly thought you would get more entries into this one than this.  and damn everyones cards look so much better on my new monitor

1st. Heimdayel,  the colouring on this is fantastic and the combination of a fantasy setting with more traditional motif is well combined making this card my first choice. and omg all those knots I envy you and your skill

2nd a_curious_twitch 

3rd Conscious Bob 

felt both cards were really good and extremely different interpretations, in the end although I liked the fact that Conscious Bob's card had a more traditional Rider-Waite feel to it,   a_curious_twitch  artwork seemed less rushed 

•  12-17-2011, 5:33 AM 370258 in reply to 370255

Heimdayel,  I like how the birds and the wheel are sharing the same shapes and show a cycle of motion
    Also I like the use of colors, very nicely subdued.

Wyldmajik: This is really nice looking, I like how slick it feels, seems very clean and has a nice atmosphere.
    The color in the background is nice, makes it seem astrological.
    Seems like the upper area is empty and is waiting for something to show up?

A_Curious_Twitch: I like the splashy painterliness of this one, makes it dynamic and fun.
    I sorta miss the "wheel of fortune" analogy, but that's just my bias >.>

Conscious_Bob: The graphics around the wheel are really nice looking, they're clean and consistent.
    I think you need to resize some of the characters around the wheel,
    they all seem a bit small, and need a touch more detail on some of them.

MY CA Sketchbook | www.solomonrussell.com | DeviantArt
  •  12-17-2011, 11:05 AM 370272 in reply to 370247

I'd have to say:

1. Heimdayel. Loved the stone wheel with the roughness, the light, and the hints of moss. Also the construct of the two birds is quite interesting.

2. Wyldmajik. Good to see one goddess figure in the final entries. Like the airy subtle colours and the composition.

3. Conscious Bob. My favourite bit has to be the shading on the manikin. But I just can't help be drawn towards the texture on the wheel.

solomon01:
    I sorta miss the "wheel of fortune" analogy, but that's just my bias >.>

It's okay, I knew there had to be at least one person :)
    Unfortunately the Norse did't believe in luck like the Greeks did. And I have a habit of looking at things a little skewwhiff sometimes.

•  12-17-2011, 1:16 PM 370282 in reply to 370247

1. heimdayel, for me this works the best as a finished tarot.

2. wyldmajik, this was a close run thing between you and a curious_twitch, congratulations.

3. a curious_twitch, unfortunate, I really liked your entry but the wheel analogy got lost somewhere.

As for me, I knew the level of finish wasn't up to scratch but I'm pleasantly surprised by the positive crit I received.

I'll be back for challenge four if it's still running. 

•  12-17-2011, 3:57 PM 370296 in reply to 370282

Conscious Bob:
    I really liked your entry but the wheel analogy got lost somewhere.

Thanks. My first idea was far more removed, but I had hoped people would understand the ink explosion. Tarot in my book is about what the card infers, and the ink explosion was meant to symbolise the randomness and unpredictability that the wheel is based on.

•  12-18-2011, 1:53 PM 370346 in reply to 370247

curious twitch - interesting that you chose to depict something totally different from the classical wheel, now I want to read about Urd - the futhark make a nice clean, simple border; are you going to do a whole norse-inspired major arcana?

wyldmajik - smooth and calm - Arianrhod's pale tones seem to make her glow in the starry sky, and I keep going to that opalescent gem int he silver wheel, quite mesmerizing and brings your gaze to a very important element of your card

bob - the use of the puppet man seems particularly well suited to this card, it's good to have at least one of us sticking to more traditional symbols in their cards

•  12-18-2011, 10:28 PM 370373 in reply to 370346

heimdayel:
    curious twitch - interesting that you chose to depict something totally different from the classical wheel, now I want to read about Urd - the futhark make a nice clean, simple border; are you going to do a whole norse-inspired major arcana?

Not entirely Norse, but a great deal of it will. Urd's not traditionally erratic by the way, I just added the chaotic ink as a human perception of events. I would have probably drawn her well from a birds eye view to give a more circular form, but I thought that was a cop out.

As for the border, that may have more association with Urd and the Norns, so I'm not yet sure whether that will be as permanent as the black, but it would be a shame to lose it.

•  12-18-2011, 10:46 PM 370374 in reply to 370373

sorry for the delay! Christmas shopping wiped me out. So here we go

Conscious Bob - 3

wyldmajik - 8

a_curious_twitch  - 7

heimdayel - 12

Congratulations heimdayel!

View as RSS news feed in XML