Upload your portfolio today. Register here

Android paint apps?

Last post 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM by Stefix. 39 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (40 items)   < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-25-2012, 3:46 PM 406490 in reply to 406421

Re: Android paint apps?

edart:

SB works in portrait only and PS in landscape only, neither company has made the perfect mobile paint app.

edit: Actually other than the release of PS touch there seems to be very little activity on the android paint app scene. 

Did you "purchase" SB Pro on Android? Because that or I believe Sketchbook Express are the only versions intended for tablets...the other ...two...are meant to be used on phones or mini tablets. Personally I have no issue with SBP not rotating to suit whichever way I'm holding the tablet...because usually I move it around to make certain strokes better. 

Yeah...I think it's kind of intimidating for the folks who might be willing to develop a decent painting app but not be actual programmers....and the actual programmers just have no idea what to do to make it a truly useful app. either insofar as what to put into it or how to design the UI. Then there is the problem of being able to save to PSD...since that's Adobe's file format I'm sure one would have to get a license for it.

Wizard's First Rule
  •  11-25-2012, 8:40 PM 406502 in reply to 406490

Purchased SB pro when it first came out so assumed I had the tablet version. A quick search of the market told me otherwise, rectified that now. Big Smile

So now there are four versions of Sketchbook on the market two "demo" versions and two full also there is the other app also called Sketchbook. Hmm

It's not what to sketch or do it's the love that we give to you.
    www.flickr.com/photos/edtuckerartist/
    www.gogle.com
    www.edtuckerartist.weebly.com
    www.casimireffectfilm.com
    www.facebook.com/edtuckerartist
    twitter.com/edtuckerartist

•  12-31-2012, 7:04 PM 408118 in reply to 406502

Having acquired a 7inch tablet due to an annual present-giving phenomenon allow me to stick my nose in this debate and say Fresco. I rather like its non-laggy lightweight nature and the one-touch eyedropper is how all apps should be (Sketchbook's two clicks then a drag is painful.) EDIT: But I do wish it had a blur/blend/smudge tool.

Also SMall ARTtools is an interesting idea and may be useful if it's developed further.

•  01-02-2013, 2:45 PM 408194 in reply to 408118

welcome

ill take a look at those.

I have been following the development of an app named Imagefactory and while it may turn out good when developed further the dev is way too keen on releasing it as it is which to be honest is far from a comercial product as he could get. he just seems to be more concerned about his tax than the quality of his app.

id post a link to his thread on 

xda developers forum but this forum wont let me from android. Google it.

www.gogle.com

•  01-02-2013, 4:46 PM 408200 in reply to 408194

I agree having to keep opening various palettes can make SB Pro is a bit clunky, but the pressure sensitivity and ability to use layers is very useful. I've just downloaded Markers, which also supports pressure sensitivity and so far it looks quite good. As the name suggests, it is purely a marker/pen program, but it's pretty straight forward to use and looks ideal for simple sketches.
    http://infinatepixel.deviantart.com/
  •  01-03-2013, 11:18 AM 408239 in reply to 408118

looked at fresco and realised i already had it installed so fired it up only to realise why i dont use it, it is not designed for tablets so looks awful on my 10" screen.

as for small artools its not showing up on my market i guess its the same problem as above in that it is not designed for tablets so does not show.

A lot of cheaper android tablets come with a version of android more suited to mobile phones than tablets so may be why you can see it and i can't, not that there is anything wrong with the tablets or os.

I find myself using Sketchbook pro more and more myself, mainly because it has more brush options. Sometimes I accidentally zoom into my sketch because of resting my hand on the edge of the screen.

I would like a slider to alter the pressure sensitivity as its a little too light for me. 

www.gogle.com

•  01-04-2013, 2:05 AM 408286 in reply to 408239

A link to Image factory I mentioned earlier Ok so the insert link is not working here's the text version:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2022769

(EDIT by voluspa: made link clickable)

www.gogle.com

•  01-06-2013, 2:21 AM 408399 in reply to 408286

Not sure if this app has been mentioned though if not it should have been! 

TV paint (google it) is a full desktop program (yes its available for windows etc) on Android. I was like the paint tools are basic at best but then i tapped o  the bars either side of the screen and I'm like oh my goodness how did they do this? It's a beta that ran out in november but i just downloaded it so its still available.  

Testing the brushes: (whoops large pic sorry) 

Another handy app is layer paint, more for notes than painting but its a capable app.

(Id post links but you know old forum etc) 

www.gogle.com

•  01-27-2013, 1:19 PM 409620 in reply to 408399

Just in case anyone is actually reading this thread I have just discovered yet another superb app - clover paint - only downloaded it a few minuites ago, looks confusing but very powerful and extremley customisable.

There is a thread on XDA about it, aparently the developer is very responsive.

www.gogle.com

•  05-01-2013, 10:01 PM 413846 in reply to 333585

I just switched to Android and looking for some good painting apps. Conversation above seems to be a bit old in terms of apps progress today. What can you recommend? Thanks.
    Filed under: ,
Page 3 of 3 (40 items)   < Previous 1 2 3
View as RSS news feed in XML